WTB SY/SZ Shadow, Sprit,Spur Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » WTB SY/SZ Shadow, Sprit,Spur « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luke Drady
New User
Username: deja_vu_25

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 22 April, 2021 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning all
I finally at the stage where i can seriously start looking at buying my first Rolls.
I understand that it is best to purchase the best example you can afford, rather than a 'doer upper'. Given the vast price range of available cars out there at the moment, would a $25K car be a sound starting point with good mechanical history with brakes, hydraulics etc?
Thank you in advance. Luke

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, 23 April, 2021 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Luke,
I think $25k is a great price to start at. At that price point you should be able to find a very good example of SY or SZ car. Just please, have it inspected by a RR/B mechanic. Someone that KNOWS these special cars. It is very easy to look at and fall in love with the first pretty paint job out there. Also, drive every one you see. This gives you the perspective of driving great cars as well as junk so you will know the difference. Have fun on the hunt, and good luck!

Luke Drady
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, 23 April, 2021 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Mark, great advice and good to hear that i should be able to break into the market.
Anyone know of any cars out there that roughly fit my price range?
regards
Luke

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 709
Posted on Friday, 23 April, 2021 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Luke
I would go for a 20000 series SZ, they are more refined than early SYs and probably better value.
Fuel injection makes them more efficient and reliable.
Don't be afraid of a turbo!
Just be careful of rust on any car! Anything else can be fixed.
Mike

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, 29 April, 2021 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And avoid any car imported from Hong Kong.
We made the mistake of getting 2 of them for the hire car business and they looked perfect, low mileage and well maintained mechanically.
Then the servo noticed some thing unusual with the rubber sound deadening sprayed on the underside of the car.
It was sprayed directly to the carpet underlay
There was no floor it has totally rusted away as had the base of the front door frame.
A very expensive mistake.
Apparently they are mostly all like that from the salt air and sitting still for days on end.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, 29 April, 2021 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Luke, If you require a modern feeling car, follow Mikes advice ,although I always buy pre active ride cars(Pre 1990). In my opinion the 20000 series cars are much less temperamental than carb engined SZ series. If you require a more traditional "Classic ride" then the Shadow 1 in my opinion is only beaten by the Cloud series. I am fortunate to have a 1975 Shadow1, 1956 Bentley S1, 1987 Bentley8 and my daily car a 1990 Bentley Mulsanne S.
All of them totally enjoyable but with different characters.
Mark

Luke Drady
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 29 April, 2021 - 22:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Mark. I am torn between the Shadow and Spirit to be honest. I am looking at a 71 Shadow and an 81 Spirit this weekend. Both appear to be suitable with reputable mechanics blessings.
Always loved the Shadow because it has more of the regal shape to it, where as the SZ shape is a little more angular. Decision, decisions!

Luke Drady
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 29 April, 2021 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great advice Trevor re Hong Kong cars. I will make sure I check history and low milers for this.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3927
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2021 - 07:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Luke,

Cars originally delivered to Japan as well as Hong Kong are also suspect as their mechanical condition is invariably worse than expected for their mileage.

This is a consequence of the fact many of the cars have been chauffeur-driven and the drivers sit in the car with the engine idling and air-conditioning on for personal comfort whilst waiting for the owners who are attending a function or other commitments often for several hours or more.

Philip Sproston
New User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, 06 May, 2021 - 17:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Luke,

How about a LWB Turbo Bentley 1986 for $20,000.

Owner cant drive any more - ring for more info.

Phil - 0418266631

Luke Drady
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 12 May, 2021 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Phil
Oh bugger! The LWB Bentley would have been worth a look, except I picked up a 1981 Spirit last weekend. Thank you for thinking of me.
Regards
Luke

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: