WTB Shadow II front windscreen seal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » Past Ads » WTB Shadow II front windscreen seal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam McKenzie
Yet to post message
Username: possum

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 23 December, 2014 - 12:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any leads or if someone has one sitting around, prefer Australia but not essential....thank you.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Tuesday, 23 December, 2014 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Buy new and buy genuine would be my tip.

You only want to do the job once if you can possibly help it.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, 24 December, 2014 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adam,

Not having priced these out I have no idea whether the price is better or not, but Replacement Parts in GA, USA, carries these seals.

A number of folks have used them to source parts and the reports on the various seals, including those for the windshield and back windows, has been positive. Since they stock OEM and aftermarket parts these could be OEM, but you'd have to ask them.

Brian, who agrees with Paul on "you only want to do this job once"

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, 24 December, 2014 - 01:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adam

Also, Flying Spares at GBP 119 (AUD 227), which is a few dollars less than Replacement Parts in GA. Note that VAT (sales tax) is not added for export items. Postal charges will be a deciding factor for you if you decide to go with one of these companies.

http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-bentley-shadow-t1-t2-corniche-mpw/body/front-rear-wind-screens-backlight-seals/front-wind-screen-silver-shadow-corniche-t-1-2.html

I personally would never fit a used seal. Over the years the bottom of the seal compresses slightly loosening the seal at the top of the windscreen, causing wind noise. I used Permatex Windshield and Glass sealant to stop wind noise on my car. It is very effective but probably only a temporary solution.

Geoff

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.77
Posted on Wednesday, 24 December, 2014 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

£120 is very reasonable because other makes are about the same.

Using old ones is fraught with the risk that it leaks plus if the rubber is stiff a breakage.

Leaks can be hard to even detect due to the dash being in the way.

I like to get the glass guy in because he will source the rubber at the correct price and he has the correct sealers.

Plus he is unlikely to break the glass, because he has whose rubber sucker things, sat nav suckers aren't good enough. Drop the glass on the scuttle and the paintwork might get damaged. I have assembled a few hundred cars after

A tip is that if removing the glass and the rubber is to be changed. Cut the rubber with a sharp craft knife and the glass will simply lift out.

The rubbers crack on the outside where it lays on the body. Which of course lets water lay under the rubber. And eventually it finds a way into the car. The rear is easier to check for small weeps but the front is near impossible. So a best as possible seal is needed and that can only happen with a new seal.

At least it is available, some old car glass rubbers aren't and owners end up make do and mend or paying hundreds to get one made.

Silicon sealers like engine gasket silicon works well on old s rubbers where the glass is not being taken out. I makes sure that everything is clean with no dust or grit. Then uses a plastic spatula, lift the rubber of the glass and inject in gap. The excess squeezes out as the rubber drops. Then with soapy water clean off excess in a careful one wipe only using something soft but sharp in the corner where the rubber meets the glass. I always use black not clear because any smears missed on the rubber will show. If the silicon has ended up on the glass, don't pull it off if it's attached to the silicon under the rubber cut it tight to the rubber with sharp knife. Blobs that have gone off in the middle of glass scrap with finger nail and it will roll off.

Like a lot of jobs like this a bit of patience and a steady hand. A bit like decorating a room. Easy if one just take one's time.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Adam McKenzie
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 26 December, 2014 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you gentlemen for the leads, I am a new Shadow owner and guess what RR363 goodness me do you think it will ever be back in production....

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Saturday, 27 December, 2014 - 05:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RR363 will be available soon. Morrison's are saying that their brand of dot 4 is suitable. I suspect that they are right, but do check for yourself.

By the time you have read the very extensive stuff on dot oil you will be an expert like most shadow owners. Don't catch dot paranoia.

Also remember that different brands of dot are different even if they do mix. Meaning that because one brand claims something it doesn't follow that other brands are the same.

I read somewhere that the base product used for dot only comes from 2 sources. Might have been antifreeze.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Saturday, 27 December, 2014 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

This is what motorcarsltd is claiming can be used as a substitute for RR363. Of course they've been claiming for several years now that, "Castrol no longer produces the RR363," which brings their knowledge into question.

That being said, this is the latest round of "RR363 will be available soon." This one has been going on since the end of the summer, if not slightly earlier, and all of the projected arrival dates have come and gone.

I don't doubt that there will be another batch made, but I no longer believe any of Castrol's statements with regard to ETAs when the last batch sells out.

This is one of the reasons I finally joined "the dark side" and started using YAK363.

Brian

Adam McKenzie
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 27 December, 2014 - 13:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

"The dark side" I too may enter, do you recommend to do a total flush if I decide to go down that path.

Also, silly question what actually is YAK363.

Cheers
Adam

ps. I must say having owned many cars of varying genres my first Roller really is an enjoyable experience, I feel like I am in a capsule when driving with the occasional squeak of leather keeping me awake.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Saturday, 27 December, 2014 - 13:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adam,

I always recommend that a full flush be done with straight DOT3 whether the final fill will be with RR363 or YAK363 or OMAR363. See Flush and Bleed Your Silver Shadow/Bentley T Hydraulics/Brakes the Easy Way.

Long ago someone (and I really don't know who) tossed out the idea that perhaps it was yak pee that was the "secret ingredient" in RR363, and that's how I ended up adopting the name YAK363. The various MSDS/product data sheets show "ethoxylated, propoxylated castor oil" as being a component of RR363 in some proportion between 5 and 10 percent, inclusive. That appears to be the only clearly distinguishing factor between many regular DOT3 and DOT4 fluids and RR363. YAK363 is nothing more than a 90/10 DOT3 or DOT4 Brake Fluid/Pharmaceutical Grade Castor Oil blend.

Omar Shams, a regular here who lives in Dubai, mixes OMAR363, a 85/15 proportioned mix.

Brian

Adam McKenzie
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 27 December, 2014 - 14:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Brian.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.78
Posted on Saturday, 27 December, 2014 - 11:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Morris is an old very respectable UK oil company.

I read their blurb and it is incorrect that castrol RR363 has not been produce for six years. But I suspect that this is a mistake by the web marketing guys who get carried away.

But telling lies like many have used the dot without problem is illegal and morris wouldn't do it.
Dot 4 was developed for abs because of the hydraulic pump and accumulator. I suspect that the extra castor oil is due to the ride height system.

A few years back a dodgy batch of RR363 caused noisy rams.

If castrol RR363 is not made then a 5 to 10% spoon of castor oil just like the doctor ordered won't hurt.

My granny used to swear by it so it must be ok.

I would check with Morris direct not a supplier of their products.

I have dealt with Morris direct and they know their stuff. They do a whole range of oils that are good to use in RR cars.

Shrewsbury England.

I used to buy Morris's Magnol oil in bulk and resell locally I made a good profit. Then a local shop took over. Because of transport costs from Shrewsbury.

Adam McKenzie
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a side note and yes I know promises promises, this was the reply from Castrol re: RR363
Dear Mr McKenzie

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that we are still manufacturing RR 363 and there should be a new batch available in January.

Regards.

Brian Utton
Castrol UK & Ireland Automotive Technical Helpdesk
T: 0845 082 1719

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 18:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No year mentioned ;)

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Wednesday, 07 January, 2015 - 06:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Should not will.

I am sure that Castrol will----------- eventually.

If the RR363 is brewed on the 31/01/15 then it will take at least 3 weeks before it gets to the shops.

They have probably run out of castor oil.