Bentley SBH 17291 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » Past Ads » Bentley SBH 17291 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2011 - 07:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Owing to a marriage breakup I have sell my dream car Boris the Bentley,I have looked at all angles to keep it but I'm afraid it has to go.Please check out my ad in Car Sales.com under Bentley T1.

Barry

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2011 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are a few of us on this forum that have had the same problem and know what you are experiencing. Always remember, one door is closing right now however another will open in the future for you, you just don't know when it will occur.

I suggest you should post more detailed information about your car here as this will be interest to potential acquirers. Car history and more detailed service records showing when and who did the maintenance would be a good place to start. Other known problems with this model that have received attention during your ownership is also useful. Mileages covered in recent years is also relevant.

Unfortunately, the current ad and price may give the impression that the car is a problem requiring more work than you can afford and the low price reinforces this impression.

Hope you find a good home for Boris.

(Message edited by david_gore on 07 September 2011)

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2011 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou David for your comments.The car was originally purchased by His Grace The Earl of Portarlington through York Motors Sydney,its had 4 owners since then and up to me buying the vehicle there are no service records although Carl Heydon a subscriber to this forum knows the previous owner before me and has serviced the car.Barry Apps of Batemans Bay did look after the car for me till I moved to Tasmania.The aircon is not working needs new seals and I have them the rear brake pump is noisy and Bob Chapman in Melbourne tells me he can machine parts etc not a big job,the central locking is not working,neither is the self levelling.The rear springs are weak and need replacing again not a big nor expensive job.Some time in the future valve stem seals will need replacing but not urgent a service thing really.Mileage well how long is a piece of string,this car is by no means in concourse condition but would make an ideal entry level club car even in its present condition
Barry.

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2011 - 17:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen,So there is no confusion as there are 6 Bentley T's for sale on the Carsales.com.au website mine has its chassis number in the sub titles and its a later one than the others 1974 model.

David Gore

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Thursday, 08 September, 2011 - 10:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry,

Good stuff so far - would be worthwhile doing a pump-down test on the brake warning lights to give an indication of the state of the accumulators.

Is the A/C original or has it been converted to R134a?

Do you know if the self-levelling has been deliberately blocked off?

Rear springs are an easy fix and would be known to most serious buyers.

Valve stem seal upgrade is something that should only be metioned if it has been done otherwise say nothing and keep the spark plugs clean for any test drives.

When were the fuel system filters last changed [including those in the SU carburettors]?

When was the automatic transmission last serviced?

Is there any slack/looseness evident in the suspension including the ball joints?

Any wheelbearing rumble evident?

Any noise from the driveline when the transmission is first engaged? Have the rear driveshafts been swapped over or upgraded to the later type?

When were the compliance mounts last replaced or checked?

I suspect you will have to answer a lot of telephone enquiries and the above questions are some of the more complex ones that I would expect a knowledgeable purchaser to ask before they decide if a trip to inspect the car is justified.

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, 08 September, 2011 - 13:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,no noise from driveline,transmission serviced 5000mls ago same with fuel filters and carby filters,no slackness in suspension,anti roll bar bushes replaced air con has original compressor but new dryer unit (aircon was serviced last year thats when we found leaks in the compressor)not sure about self levelling although Bob Chapman in Melbourne had a look wasn't able to pin point problem but suggest either leave well alone or spend money on an overhaul,the accumulators are new and one gets approximatley 80 pumps,I did spend over $6000 on a brake o'haul so all is well in that department.
The back to bare metal respray was $10,000 cash on the table wink wink,woodwork all restored,seat swabs recovered, new cheap carpet,new starter motor,new fuel pump (electronic from Bob Chapman)new water pump.new front handbrake cable,new steering column rubber bush,new tyres 5000mls ago (white wall)new needle and seats in carbys,new exhaust mounts,new universal joint on one side,compliance mounts please explain?,no wheel bearing rumble a couple were replaced,driveshafts original.All in all I beleive this car to be in pretty good condition and well worth the dollars I'm asking $27950 or offer. Barry

David Gore

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Thursday, 08 September, 2011 - 14:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry,

The compliance mounts are the bushings which locate the front and rear subframes onto the body. they are sometimes referred to as "Brillo pads" because they look like a cylinder of steel wool. They are part of the NVH [noise, vibration, harshness] isolation package built into the car. Replacing them is often the subject of debate about the difficulty involved for DIY owners.

I wonder if your price is too low and could be giving the wrong impression about the car. My first reaction when reading the ad was that it was a restoration job that had become too expensive leading to a quick sale to get rid of the problem. My suggestion would to use the real reason for selling the car as the key marketing point, price it around $35000 and negotiate from there. Your biggest hindrance that I can see is your location; perhaps offering to refund the airfares of the purchaser when the sale is finalised might be an effective incentive. Repositioning the car on the mainland might have to be considered if you find potential buyers reluctant to cross Bass Straight and there is no interest from local buyers.

Brian Carson
Experienced User
Username: brian_carson

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, 08 September, 2011 - 16:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting that there are now two Bentley's previously owned by the Earl of Portarlington. Geoff Victor is selling his 1987 Bentley Eight originally owned by the Earl.
Nice car of your's Barry. As far as price goes and having just bought a 1989 Mulsanne S myself, the market couldnt be better for buyers, sadly for anyone selling any sort of condition cars they will have trouble getting what they might have liked. I still believe a sensible buyer would have the necessary checks done and be willing to pay a bit more for a better example. That was advise I was given, buy the best you can afford, hopefully some one will see that in yours Barry. Best of luck.. Brian

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, 08 September, 2011 - 17:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some other interesting things my car was painted Scots Pine originally so another green for his Grace.I used to be a chauffeur with a Sydney limousine company and his Grace was one of our clients and so I have driven him on a number of occasions.Portarlington is in Ireland SW of Dublin but his grandfather married in to a Scottish family who were shipowners with interests here in Australia G.S.Yuill &CO, his grace sits on the board.My handbook has his rego number as EOP 000 .