Wanted: brake drums Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » Past Ads » Wanted: brake drums « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeanne Eve (Jeve)
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2001 - 10:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John Matheson wishes to buy four Silver Cloud S1 brake drums. Please contact tel. 02 93888001

David Jones
Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2001 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have used after market drums on our Silver Cloud 1, the drums have been in service for the past 3 years and have had no problems.
Contact Bob Chapman in Melbourne 039 720 3997.
kind regards
David Jones
Perth WA

Richard Treacy
Posted on Wednesday, 18 July, 2001 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a quick note on this subject.

People like Mr Chapman offer a rare and extremely valuable service to owners of these fine cars, and should be encouraged heartily. I luckily sourced some excellent original brake drums for my R-Type some years ago in England, and the process was time consuming and anxious. I was very pleased finally to solve my problem and then remove the shims from the brake shoes after some years of negotiating shakily through the yearly registration tests.

To undertake a commitment to supply replacement drums is indeed no mean feat, and we should, I suggest, be patient with the likes of Mr Chapman who are willing to do so. I am sure that the lead time for manufacture is quite long, and the financial commitment of Mr Chapman in placing an order to a sub-supplier is quite substantial. Afterall, tooling is not a quick or cheap process. Maybe he could consider taking deposits before sourcing a batch of drums for us to minimise his risks and assure owners of delivery. In any case, his kind of service is invaluable to us all. I hope you all agree.

I have also sourced remanufactured parts myself (valves, guides, spark plug inserts, pistons) and know only too well how difficult and slow the process can be.