Trivia Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Trivia « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Experienced User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, 17 April, 2010 - 16:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How many kms (average)has a 6.75 motor with SU carbys done before any major overhauling.

Barry

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, 18 April, 2010 - 12:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

30,000 dollar question Barry.

No definitive answer can be given here as it depends entirely on care and regular service. The powerplants can virtually last indefinately so long as regular oil changes are done and they are not abused. The cooling system must be flushed once a year and genenral wear and tear items replaced as required.
I have seen SY & SZ cars with 300K++ k's on them still in fine working order as they are driven regularily and serviced well.Contary to this though I have seen some terrible abuse perpitrated on our cars, cracked heads, badly worn and negelected mechanicals through nothing more that shear ingnorance and ' it doesn't need servcing its a Rolls' mentality.
2 things our cars need, regular services ( 6 monthly oils changes front to back ) and to be driven more that just twice a year...
a bit of care and they should go longer than you and I will Barry.

Cheers

J

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.6.117.74
Posted on Monday, 03 May, 2010 - 17:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry,

If I may concur with Mr. Feller's comments. Personally I never allow my cars to reach "recommended" maintenances. I consider these mileages, or dates, absolute maximums. I change all fluids and filters long before those "maximums". Consequently, I receive excellent service from my cars, and great satisfaction.

The cars are indeed complicated machinery. But in my experience, complex only to the point of achieving the sophisticated aims their makers sought. Like Mr. Feller, I have seen the cars neglected, and subjected to abuses which I would not heap upon a Ford or Chevrolet. And then marveled that the cars were still functional at all!

(Message approved by david_gore)