Anyone know this Turbo R? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Anyone know this Turbo R? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andre Perry
Experienced User
Username: meandfi

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, 02 April, 2010 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone, thanks for your advice over the past couple of months, I have found a nice Turbo R for sale in Melbourne and was wondering if anyone knows the car or history.I have spoke to the owner he seems very nice, and owns a car yard in Melbourne and is his personal car.

Here are the details:

1988 Bentley Turbo R
Vin:SCBZS0TA5JCH22818
Colour: Black Oynx
Km: 125 000
Current Owner: David Margolin

Here is the Description:

Stunning example of this rare marque.
FACTORY SUNROOF !!!
EBONY TIMBER
Fuel injected, ABS Model
As new leather
full service history provided. Lovely car to look at and drive.

Of course BEFORE I BUY I will organise a inspection at Mr RA Chapmans Business.

Your comments as always much appreciated.

Cheers Andre

The Car in question

Andre Perry
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 03 April, 2010 - 11:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok, so I found some info about the car using my CIA internet browsing!haha
It was offered for sale last year at the June Melbourne Shannons Auction. It appears the Vehicle has come from the UK, which I know that vehicles sometimes have rust problems. I have attached the Shannons Report which does specify what needs doing to the vehicle, I have asked the owner if the work has been done, just awaiting his response. I am a little worried about the Rust thing, as if it has rust in places where you can see, where else is it?
Anyway your comments are welcome.

Its hard being so far away from seeing the vehicle myself, and I cant afford to fly and see everyone that I like, so I just have to do the most research, narrow down then get it inspected.
application/pdfInspection
Turbo R Inspection Sheet.pdf (621.3 k)

George Sokol
New User
Username: cava

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 03 April, 2010 - 12:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I looked at this vehicle at the time, and decided not to bid for it. Take it for what it's worth Andre.

Michel Malik
Experienced User
Username: michel

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 03 April, 2010 - 13:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The car looks impressive, but so does the list of problems it has.

Depending on who wrote the report and how zealous he was, I would be worried about the rust everywhere, unless you have cheap access to a body shop or you are handy with the tools.
At $40,000 it is not too cheap nor is it too dear.

Proceed with caution.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, 06 April, 2010 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes careful Andre,

Its not the only Turbo R out there..... The rust 'evereywhere' commments are a little worrysome, however what does that mean? I had some surface corrosion, bubbling, around the 2 rear door handles fixed up on my Turbo for a few hundred dollars. These cars are known for doing this as its a reaction the chrome plated steel has with the aluminium door panel. Again it was pretty easy to have this done and not that expensive either. Is this what is meant by rust everywhere? I dont know, ask the question?
Rust around the sunroof? This sounds interesting...and could be a great deal more to deal with..... I know you could order a sunroof installed by Crewe when new. I must admit I have never seen an original fitment, it was certainly not a standard fitment though. I believe it was a very expensive option and I would love to see how they got around the headlining and made that look inside the car. I don't know why sunroofs were not standard in our cars from new? I think its the only thing these great cars do lack is a nice big sunroof. BUT I have seen some horrible aftermarket sunroofs installed on these cars. In fact the one I'm thinking of now, and its making me shudder, is on an old Spirit, its truly awful, its very dark purple in the glass tint, the once lovely cloth headlining has been replaced with fairly dreadful nylon stuff that does not even come close to matching the side lining of the rest of the car.
Rear windows inoperative? Did the cabbage test to make sure the rear inhibit switch was deactivated?...
PS...Don't worry about the comment panels not fitting true... I dont think any have ever...

Good Luck Andre and I would absolutely have Chapmans, or whoever you trust, go over it with a fine tooth comb and give you a fair and objective assessment of it.

Cheers

J

Mark Heathcote
Yet to post message
Username: mark_heathcote

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 06 April, 2010 - 20:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To answer James' question 'I don't know why sunroofs were not standard in our cars from new?'.

When I was looking for a Shadow II, with sunroof, I was told, by a former dealership salesman, that RRM were not keen on fitting sunroofs because of the wind noise, the loss of headroom, and the perception that people who purchased our cars new weren't bothered about them. He also added that when they did get a car with a sunroof, it would usully be stuck from lack of use...

I have also seen comments that the sunroof fitted by the factory during the 80s is identical to that fitted in a 5 series BMW. I don't know if this is correct, but if it is, there should be a plentiful supply of parts.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Wednesday, 07 April, 2010 - 20:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

To answer James' question 'I don't know why sunroofs were not standard in our cars from new?'.

Unfortunately, the sunroofs on these cars are invariably of a meagre size: all show and no go.

Worst, any person with a tall torso will sit with the head jammed to the reduced ceiling height. Not a good idea, as with the seats at the most favourable position the headroom is quite inadequate for most people of above average height even without a sunroof.

Much as I like a sunroof, the Turbo R is not the car in which to have one in my book. My R-Type with its standard and large sunroof which robs no headroom from the already generous cabin and without climate control ? Well, that's a different story altogether.

RT.

Andre Perry
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 09 April, 2010 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well an update Gentleman, the owner has spent over $10 000 in redoing the Leather, replacing the Headlining, getting the rust bubbles off the sunroof, fixed the wheel arch rust. So getting closer now, next week will organise Mr Chapman to do the inspection. If it comes out ok, then we are flying down on Anzac weekend to personally drive and view.Picture of Sunroof