Phantom braking ability. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Phantom braking ability. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Crump
Frequent User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, 10 March, 2010 - 06:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yesterday afternoon on the M4 Motorway we had reason to perform an emergency stop in heavy traffic. Now that is no mean feat in a PII at speed but we pulled up in a straight line with a minimum of fuss and in safety. The car ahead of me and the car beside me both skidded and swerved despite the fact they were models featuring ABS. I suspect Sr Henry and his team knew a bit about sound front end geometry and braking systems back in 1932 which some modern manufacturers are yet to read. I do admit the procedure caused a sweat-drenched shirt and sent my atheist passenger scrambling for a prayer book.
I always leave a largish gap bewtween the car in front and the PII - pulling up nearly 3 tonnes of steel, wood and aluminium does require a bit of effort. I do quietly curse those drivers who insist on taking that safety gap by slotting in without warning. Maybe they wonder what their plastic bumbers will look like when impaled on the front of a steel chassis?
The truly interesting point out of all this though, is that with a correctly adjusted front end and brakes, the PII was quite able to stop safely without any wheel lock or dangerous swerving.
Regards,
Brian Crump

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, 14 March, 2010 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

Glad you and the PII are OK, I remember adjusting the front brakes when I was working for Garth, glad I got it right!

Cheers

Marty

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, 19 March, 2010 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think I've already regaled the members of this forum with the occurrences of 2 years ago when a stupid Kraut attempted to perform a 'U' turn directly in front of The Old Girl (my 1976 Silver Shadow I) on the coast road due South of Ostend.
In that case there was insufficient time and room to avoid car to car contact.
"Maybe they wonder what their plastic bumbers will look like when impaled on the front of a steel chassis?"
Actually I didn't hit his bumper as he was broadside to me by then, but I did leave a couple of very deep, long dents in his driver's door and the same side front wing. I was able to rub the Audi paint off my bumper and front wingtop with my thumb to reveal ... nothing!
Although the rate of deceleration was insufficient to avoid him, nevertheless I pulled up in a completely straight line and (of course) no wheel lockup!