A Wedding in ShanXi, China Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » A Wedding in ShanXi, China « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, 24 February, 2010 - 15:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder if this family has any more daughters?

http://prafulkr.wordpress.com/2010/02/19/a-wedding-in-shanxi-china/

Brian Carson
Experienced User
Username: brian_carson

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 25 February, 2010 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mum & dad didnt look to happy. Maybe its not been paid for....
Madness isnt it?

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, 25 February, 2010 - 15:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The groom didn't look too happy either.
Wonder if it was a shotgun wedding?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 930
Posted on Thursday, 25 February, 2010 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Based on my knowledge of the safety of Chinese underground coal mines, this gives reality to the description "blood money".

I will never forget the experience of a fellow employee who was sent to China to demonstrate roof bolters for coal mines - he spent less than 30 minutes underground before walking out vowing never to return because of the blatant safety breaches he experienced. Everything from naked flames where methane was present, no limestone dusting to prevent dust explosions through to inadequate roof supports to prevent cave-ins.

StevenBrown
Experienced User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, 09 March, 2010 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Mr. Gore. I'm in the mining industry, more on the finance side. Could invest/partake in and be profiting on Chinese projects. But cannot in good conscience accept "blood" money.

(Message edited by stevenbrown on 09 March 2010)