This Forums Hosting Company - FAIL Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » This Forums Hosting Company - FAIL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, 10 February, 2010 - 13:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Admin posted in Adminstrative Announcements.
I don't know about you but this incident makes me angry. It's an
unforgiveable way to treat paying customers. The hosting company to
blame is 'GoDaddy.com' and I will now be looking into finding a better
hosting company for the RR Forums so this never happens again.

So typical of companies that get too big. GoDaddy is huge.

I've had 12 years of great service with a Server who started in Richmond Victoria. It was Ozhosting.com and still is, now run by BlueCentral.com

We use a MS server, but I'd guess service would be the same with a Linux/Unix server.

At 2:15pm today, au.rrforums.net shared it's IP with 2,268 other domains
The company I look after shares with 157

But hey, it gets down to bandwidth supplied to each IP address. And possibly GoDaddy have better equipment than BlueCentral. I've had cheap personal hosting from GoDaddy and was disappointed. The less you pay, the more domain names are shoved on one server.

Maybe it's time to come back to Australia. More expensive though.

I'll have to join the club to bolster the coffers. I will need a picture of Bill wearing a Bowler hat or one of his old safari suits.

Eugene Oleinik
Experienced User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, 10 February, 2010 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suggest 1and1.co.uk.
I am their customer for 3 years and liked their service. I do get notifications before any maintenance to be done on my server.

1and1 is the largest hosting company in Europe. Their speciality (unlike Godaddy) is hosting.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, 11 February, 2010 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I first acquired my car I tried to set up a simple web-page to describe the process of buying, owning and working on SRH20280.

Very quickly the joy (and frustration) of working with her left me no time to even keep up a simple diary on the internet.

Always though, in my most lost moments, surrounded by odd screws and disfunctional wiring I have had recourse to this site: the elegant simplicity of the organisation of it; the uncluttered navigation to the technical information and the unfailing friendliness of the help and the (fellow) helpless has been an inspiration.

No doubt there will always be room for improvement. And no doubt there are people with computer skills who can (and will) contribute time doing the research and development which will produce them.

In the meantime I'd just like to say thankyou to those who have done the work which has led us here.

Jeff

Bill Payne
Experienced User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, 11 February, 2010 - 23:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kudos are/have been most definitely in order. I imagine just dealing with spam has been difficult.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, 12 February, 2010 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Without highlighting the recent failure further and making this event more irritating for the moderatorers than it already is by adding my frustrations with the server shutdown, I too would say this forum has been an incredible source of reference/trouble shooting and wonderful resource for me and my cars. In fact if I'm honest its the first point of call I come to if I encounter a 'failure to proceed' issue with my two Crewe cars.
I'm typing a blog of sorts I suppose but again would say lets all keep the dream alive and move through it the best we can. The RROCA forum is certainly one of the best in the world that I have seen with respect to the content and contributers, I could not be happier with the site!!!

Cheers

James

David Thomas
Experienced User
Username: davidthomas

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, 12 February, 2010 - 16:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Beautifully put Jeff! I wholeheartedly agree.

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, 13 February, 2010 - 15:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hope I am being understood.

I was in no way hanging it on this forum or administrators. This is a very well run and professional forum.

I was hanging it on the Hosting company - GoDaddy.com. They moved our files to another server without telling us - causing us to lose some members' posts.

Our Administrator explained the event and his frustration on Wednesday, 10 February, 2010 in the Administrative Announcements thread.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, 14 February, 2010 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No problem there Colin, you were being quite clear, I just thought I'd let them know that we appreciate the sometimes frustrating work they do for us - like having to deal with companies like GoDaddy. Cheers, Jeff :-)