The Dubai Metro Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » The Dubai Metro « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Saturday, 19 December, 2009 - 21:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Please comment on the Dubai Metro. I am rather involved with it and with Kinki Sharyo, and in particular for the Sydney Metro with Thales, DEDIR, Kinki et al.

RHT.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, 20 December, 2009 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
As requested, here is a very small brief regarding the Dubai Metro. I have not been on it yet as I am waiting for it to become more complete and more frequent.
Dubai worked very hard to make the opening ceremony on the planned date of 9pm on 9th Sept 09 a reality. To make this happen, only a section of the metro was available, but the train ran as planned on the grand opening day.
Since then, more and more of the system has come on line, although there is still some 60% of it not yet commissioned. The trains are state of the art (as you would expect) and are driverless.

The trains don't run as often as I would assume a metro to operate at (they seem to be half an hour apart), but that will change as more of the system comes on line.
The stations are fanstastic. Ticket prices are very reasonable in all three classes of travel.
At one time there was a ban on people carrying suitcases on the trains, but that soon changed when they discovered that the trains went to the airport station empty and left there empty too.

The trains are married to a newly set-up bus system that takes people from stations to almost everywhere in the vicinity of each station. I could take a bus from outside my house to the train station and then get the metro to anywhere in Dubai - when the system is fully operational. For now, I will get around in the Turbo RL instead.........

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Sunday, 20 December, 2009 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that, Omar !

Maybe we will have a driverless Bentley soon with Thales controls.

Our delegations, including thje Sydney Metro Authority and the bidding consortia (the shortlist is only comprised of two bidding consortia) were in Dubai last week to review the Metro yet again. The Sydney Metro will be like the Dubai Metro in many ways, except that the Sydney Metro will be almost entirely underground. If our consortium wins, we are presently intending to have Japanese (Kinki Sharyo) trains and Thales driverless control, both as commissioned for the Dubai Metro. The Thales controls will be almost identical to those in Dubai. The Sydney trains, as in Dubai they will be built by Kinki Sharyo, will be larger: where Dubai has a capacity of 643 passengers with 5 cars of 16,5 metres length, the Sydney Metro will have a capacity of 1060 in 6 cars of 22m and at 4 persons/m^2. However, the similarities are great. Sydney will not have three classes, as women and children are allowed to travel in the same compartment as men in Sydney............

RHT.

A few pictures of the Dubai Metro.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, 20 December, 2009 - 13:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Richard,

Can I come over and play with your train set one day?

I hope the politics of the Metro don't make life too hard for you.

Regards David

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, 20 December, 2009 - 21:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As fascinating as large train sets may be to some, this thread is not appropriate for this forum. From the Terms and Conditions:
This forum being dedicated to Rolls-Royce and Bentley related topics, you will refrain from posting messages that are not obviously relevant to those topics.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, 21 December, 2009 - 00:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As suggested in the recent admin posting: Perhaps it's time we had a "Non RR/B Chat" section on the forum. Could we have a ballot on the subject, please?

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, 21 December, 2009 - 00:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please discuss this in "Do we need a non-RR&B section?".

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, 19 March, 2010 - 06:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll be on topic because just thought of it today. Grew up in Vancouver and living part time here. We've had simular trains since 1986 and they have added new routes for the just past Winter Olympics. I'm not a fan of public transit, including airlines. Our airports have just added full body scanners--they are not allowed to body scan anyone under 18 because of nudity. I'm not a criminal and will not be stripped searched to go on an airplane. Even before these scanners Id rather drive. Its a wonderful drive from Seattle to Los Angeles. Relaxed you can do it with a over night stop or 20 hrs straight through.

This is the primary reason for getting a more modern Spur--trip driving and make it more touring. Vancouver though has a fairly outdated highway system--2 lanes and often traffic jams despite the 100K's speed limit, trucks like passing and riding the left lane at 110. So even when moving you get stuck behind a commercial truck. Rocks and sand tossed onto your vehicle. Even a modern Spur has near crystal clear windshield. Rock chips would drive me into the insane asylum! So I'm considering using the train to save the paint, headlights (smashed two on my Porsche this month from trucks), and windshield. Only use the Royce or other cars when its needed or low traffic including trucks. The trains also solve my other pet peeve--finding parking that other not so bright individuals park beside me and ding up my cars. I'm glad they are making these trains out my way with several lines. It will save my Rolls from being marked up!