Encouraging Membership Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Encouraging Membership « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andre Perry
New User
Username: meandfi

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2009 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have the same problem in New Zealand, I can give you an example of some of the problems WE faced when we first joined.
In the North Island of New Zealand where we first joined, we were welcomed with open arms by Ken White, Roy Tilley, and Roger Loyld to name a few, and they really went out of there way to make us feel welcome and gave us some great advice etc. When we went on Runs, we would ride in others cars and really just have a good time. Then we moved down south, we meet a expert mechanic Bruce Mac, some of you have no doubt heard of him, he is really a great guy, we went on one of the runs, and he was the only one who talked to us all day, the rest were being real snobs(sorry to use that word) I guess it was because we were young I guess, I was 23, Fiona didnt feel very good, some people even commented that a couple of small things I did to our car, like put a modern Cd player in was quote, NOT VERY RR. So safe to say we never went on another rally again with these people. We really enjoy being around experienced people, great to learn and bounce ideas off, and it would be great to have younger members, but this was just one experience we had, i guess it just left a bad taste. Im not saying that people arent joining because people like this exsist, and I know they are the minority, but as many of you know it only takes one bad apple to ruin it.
What is great is that when someone buys a RR or BC, they have many friendly people whom can help if something fails to proceed, which I know is great and gives me confidence that I wont be alone if I need advice.
I plan to drive our next RR as my everyday car, so I hope I can get the word out to younger people up here in the far north, I will try my best anyhow.Below is a Newspaper Article that a reporter did on me when we first got the car.
my 2 cents. Cheers Andre

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, 06 December, 2009 - 00:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did the pants and tie go to Salvo's ? Hope you kept the Vercace shirt - a collectors' item given his sad demise.

Andre Perry
New User
Username: meandfi

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 06 December, 2009 - 16:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

lol, well it was a change from the normal Overalls, now its shorts and t shirt! lol

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Sunday, 06 December, 2009 - 16:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Andre, unless you are given to talking to yourself I gather you are replying to someone whose posting has disappeared. If this is so I guess the posting was critical of another Club. This is generally not acceptable in any forum lest we start a war or get accused of defamation.

The essence of your remarks however, encapsulated the general membership 'type' of any of the RR Clubs. When I joined the American Club in Virginia all those years ago, I was besotted with the cars not only their appearance but their construction. I was a fairly dab hand at 'fixing cars' so I was able to borrow manuals to work out how these holy machines were put together. It was not long after that I realised that they are only a motor car. They are not a celestial chariot that bestows auras on its owner or driver, that they do not require someone trained for 20 years in the Factory to overhaul them and lastly they are quite quite fallable!

When this Club was established in 1956 by a small group of owners it was largely motivated by necessity. Few if any had post-war cars and the 'expertise' professional or otherwise was not very available. So meeting up with another owner to find out how one repairs a leaking vacuum tank was almost a thrill.

Twenty years later I joined the Australian Club, full of zeal since I had just purchased a do-it-yourself kit to remake a Silver Dawn. Having been spoilt by the American Club publications and resources I waited eagerly for the same stuff to emerge from our local group.

Sadly it was not forthcoming, accounts of rallies and functions were detailed but mainly about the Versace and Bollinger; absent was any detail on crankshafts and oil filters. This has been largely rectified almost entirely through the efforts of our Administrator who provided this medium for people to air their knowledge and seek help.

For years I railed against the emphasis on 'Owners' rather than cars but with old age and the calm of senility I have come to realise that there are a variety of members. There are those that buying a Rolls-Royce is something a little more eventful that picking up the Saturday Telegraph at the local newsagent. Then there are those who see that owning a Rolls-Royce and joining the Club would enable them to to be seen with the previous group, people whom they would never come into contact with otherwise! And lastly there are hangers on like myself who are happiest lying under a filthy chassis looking for an oil leak!

There is room for all these people in this Club and in fact in any of the RR Clubs. The grease monkeys have to avoid giving a two hour dissertation on the composition of the felt strainer in the central chassis lubrication pump and the super wealthy need to remember that if they break down on the side of a lonely road, it is usually the grease monkey who will help!

As to the airs and graces which some owners spout, these need to be discouraged. A proper motor car is one that goes regardless of make. When our cars break down they stop and the phrase 'failing to proceed' is not one, one mutters as the local hoons flash by screaming 'Get a Ford'!!! If you like Bollinger ask for a drink, don't be impressed by it and if you admire Versace, swagger past in your latest Billabong creation! These props including the fitted luggage and silver wine coolers with double Damask dinner napkins are all good fun but do not be fooled; the car they came in quite probably has dirty fuel filters and the brake hoses are older than you are!

Lastly,the problem of being ignored. This often is sheer bloody rudeness but not always. You have to make the effort to introduce yourself and find a connecting interest. So many people stand back and wait to be entertained or greeted or noticed which is not exclusive to Rolls-Royce Clubs! If you are a member and hopefully know a lot of people at a gathering keep an eye out for the wilting flower standing all alone, introduce yourself, get them a drink and introduce them to others. This is civilised living and if we are to exhibit any traits as 'owners' these simple courtesies would be a good starting point.

Clifford Donley
New User
Username: flatus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 21 December, 2009 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Coburn, I found the Australian group just a few days ago. And, sir, your marvelous articles getting down to the practical aspects of the cars is exactly what I was hoping to find somewhere, somehow!

I'm new to RR having bought my 1984 Spirit just last month. I'm still in the exploratory phase of my ownership. But, I'm not new to old cars. 30-years ago when posted to the UK, I was fortunate enough to procure an old Jaguar Mk 10. I, of course, did my own work on it both out of desire and financial necessity.

Although I'm on the other side of the world in South Carolina, I think I've found a home away from home!