Introduction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Introduction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andre Perry
Yet to post message
Username: meandfi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 01 December, 2009 - 19:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, my name is Andre, my wife and I are from New Zealand, I am the former Secretary (Northern Region) of the RRBC Club in NZ. We have been living in Cairns for the past 4 years.
We have owned a 1978 Shadow II in Burgundy for a number of Years, we were 23 when we purchased it,I was told we were the youngest owners in NZ and sold it before we moved to Aust in 2005, I am now 34.
We plan to purchase another Shadow II next year, so will be on the lookout for a nice example at some stage.We love everything RR stands for, and just love the feel and grace no other car car can produce. I look forward to being a regular on the forum, and at some stage meeting some of you on here. Merry Xmas Andre and Fiona

Our Old Shadow II

(Message edited by david_gore on 02 December 2009)

Brian Carson
New User
Username: brian_carson

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Andre and Fiona, That certainly is a nice looking car - must have been hard to part with. If your ever in Brisbane come and join in one of our events it would be great to meet you in person. We might compare notes in searching for an appropriate car !
Regards
Brian

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Andre, and your wife.

John Shostrom
Prolific User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 02:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome, Andre and Fiona and yum-yum, your Shadow II looks particularly fine. I agree with Brian -- it must have been exceedingly difficult to part with such a correct-looking car. I hope that in this Forum that you will be able to search the wealth of information, and through it, not only find a suitable replacement for your Shadow II, but become acquainted with some of our more knowledgeable and enthusiastic (eccentric?) personalities. Happy Holidays from Hong Kong.

Andre Perry
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you, Brian, Colin and John for making us feel welcome, next stage is joining the RR Club here in Queensland and getting to meet some of you. It was heart-breaking seeing the car go, to be honest its my only regret so far in my life, but next year, I will once again have a [Rolls-Royce]. Cheers from Cairns

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

see if you could buy it back mate?

Yes I would agree it would be a cold day in hell for me if I had to part with my Spirit or Turbo... here's hoping that day will never come. In fact I was offered a substancial price for my 86 Spirit a few months ago, 20K more than I paid for it many years ago and the guy was serious, he knows me and knows how I look after my cars but frankly I just couldn't do it... funny isn't it how these become loved members of the family. I have no problem turning over BMW's and Range Rovers after a few years but not my Crewe babies!!!
I was thinking in my will a caveat might be that my family must sandwich me in the ashtray of both....

Welcome Andre from us eccentic New South Welshmen too!!!

John I like eccentric, prefer it to 'mad' or 'lunatic'....

:o)

J

Andre Perry
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 11:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James, funny you mention that, would you believe, we were lucky when we got that car, we purchased it off the 2nd owner, he wanted $30 000 for the car, at that time we didnt have that much, but the Ned Mattich had said it was more important to him that it go to the right home, even though he was offered the right money by a wellington businessman, he sold it to us on the provision that we promised to look after the old girl, and sold it to us for $20000. When we did sell it, we sold it for $34,500 I must admit that with the cost of the gas, I think we came out even, we sold it to a guy whom had money but did really like the car, he kept it for 3 years and just last week I saw it advertised on trademe.co.nz for $16 999 yes I typed that right, I called the guy and missed out by 3 hours, I was going to get it sent over, so alas still no car, I couldnt believe the price, it was more heartbreaking knowing that the market had fell out a little in NZ, but was nice to see the car again, if only in pictures.
I think many of us owners and previous owners, well I know not in NZ, are NOT millionaires, it was nice of my old friend Ken White(RIP) Long time secretary of the RRBCNZ, and Ned to put me in touch with a great example, and for a genuine person to see the car go to a good home.
It's I believe one example of clubs like these working to help each other and to ensure these cars keep on the road for many years to come.
Now my challenge starts to find a nice Shadow or Wraith II, next year.

John Shostrom
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2009 - 02:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Eccentric, yes, but moreso ... enthusiastic! Certainly most of us regard the selling of one of our cars much like losing a faithful and trusted friend or a member of the family. I suppose that is because, in many ways, these are the most personal motor cars on the planet and that they very much become an extension of our own personalities. That has definitely been true in my case. And, yes, I have always tried to sell my cars to really good homes. When I was selling my original and immaculate Brewster Green 1976 LWB Shadow (LRE25318) I recall a rather Napoleonic and arrogant lawyer viewing it and commenting "Yes, I'd like it. I'll be painting it white and reupholstering it in white leather!" I promptly replied that the car wasn't for sale to him and closed the garage door. In the case of LRK35424 my 1979 Silver Wraith II, it went to a supposedly good home at 2 1/2 times the price I paid. All was well, it seemed, until the new owner let the car sit for two years, and ignoring the brake pressure warning lights, much less neglecting to check fluids, reversed out of his garage with no brakes, sped downhill rapidly, hitting numerous parked cars along the way, and ended upside down at the bottom of a ravine. When my mechanic in LA rang me to tell me the story, I did two things: first, I poured myself a single malt. Secondly, I commented "It's too bad he wasn't in a Camry." My mechanic asked "Why, because it would only have been a Camry that was written-off?" and I responded, "No, because the idiot would have been killed!" I'm not really mean or cold-hearted. Just eccentric ...

John Shostrom
Prolific User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2009 - 02:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just realise that I typed in an incorrect chassis number for the upside-down Wraith II, and it should read LRK36424.

JS

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2009 - 11:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Andre,

coming out even re your maintenance costs, jesus you must be blessed.... I spend about 5K each year on my Crewe babies. That does not take into account fuel, rego and insurance. That figure is an approximate, mind you. The Rolls first took a bit to bring to my standards when I first got it as it had done nothing much for about 7 years when I first bought it some 4 years ago. Now we all know the worst thing for our cars is to let them stand for long periods of time without driving them. I bought the car off the elderly owner for a good price and then spent the next 6 to 12 months with my mechanics help sorting all the bibs and bobs out to make a very good orginal car once again nice to drive !!!
The Turbo was the same when I bought that earlier this year. It had not done much in years and while it had always been regularly servied it needed spheres, hoses and all the assorted preventative paraphanalia to bring it up to my standards. I drive my cars all the time and in fact heading to Fleedwood Mac Concert later today, in the beautiful Hunter Valley, in the Bentley. It needs its legs stretched not to meantion its capacious boot is perfect for a box or two of Hunter Valley whites I NEED to acquire while up there.

John, my sentiments exactly.... shame he killed your baby and not something 'common'..

Dont they make a pretty pair!!!

Andre Perry
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2009 - 17:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow James your vehicles look fantastic, the colour of the Rolls Royce is Fantastic, just about convinced me from turning from a Shadow to a Spirit, lol. The Bentley is oh so nice, it would be hard to pick one over the other, no wonder you have both.Very envious.

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2009 - 23:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James spoke and then showed his girlies

James, those pictures are serene to look at. If you lived in Victoria, you could afford a home with a larger driveway :-)

You mention maintenance is about $5k for the pair.
Being of squirrel mentality all my life - then being pre-inheritence gifted a Royce, I struggled for a while.

But I saw the light recently when I worked out the first lady in my life choofs $5k of B&H's in the air annually. I'm starting to think clearly now - waking up yelling "I want equality spending".

While knowing I have a special vehicle, I would like your BEH 555 in my garage. I want the 4 decade difference driving choice.

Please expect a visit, at night, by myself and my very quiet friends.

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, 06 December, 2009 - 20:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have both because I am contrary and as yet have no children, Andre im 35 so welcome again to 'younger' like minded folk. No aspersions at all to our more experienced and senior members. I have coveted these cars since I was a teenager and always planned on them when I could afford to indulge. Yes it is hard to choose but if I need to just get somewhere in serene comfort and quiet then the Rolls is the choice. The Bentley you don't need a reason... its just fabulous fullstop.
Colours are very personal and given the age of our vehicles now my personal prefernces of both being dark green or dark blue are a bit wishful thinking. I chose the Spirit not on its colour but for is condition and orginality. I have actually grown to really like Cotswold Beige now and its not a common colour either so its rather unique however I know not all like it, however your compliments are very nice and thank you. The Bentley, well it was the colour I was looking for so a fairly easy decision there.
Colin you are probably right, Sydney realestate prices are really stupid hence why I dont live in the dreaded 'eastern Suburbs' preferring a more relaxed and bushy area about 30 mins from town in the north west.
oh and I hope your friends like a couple of big K9's... my own alarm system.. they are friendly enough after they get through the leg...
One more addiotion to go in a few years to complete the picture... '85 Convertible Corniche... ahhh better save my pennies for this or immedialty have a vesectimy as 3 Crewe babies and a couple of homosapian ones may not be fiscially responsible...

:o)

J

John Shostrom
Prolific User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, 07 December, 2009 - 02:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James, what a fine looking pair your cars are! Previously, I had been somewhat put off by Cotswold Beige, but now, after looking at your Spirit, I could easily be delighted with that colour. As you say, it isn't seen too often. Thanks for posting the pics!

Dave Burbidge
New User
Username: ovation

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2009 - 13:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Speaking of Cotswold Beige heres our baby. The colour is called Chasmere Silver - anyhow its a gold one and we have the plate to suit ( 24CRT) . We are about to use the car as a wedding hire and limousine service at Mt Tamborine in the mountains behind the Gold Coast. Its a popular wedding and tourist destination.
We have had the car checked out by Queensland Transport who not only check the brakes on a roller systen but also have a suspension shaking plate that would find anything remotely loose.
The only things we had to do to the car when we bought it was a new Pioneer stereo to replace the 82 casette deck, brake pads, new Bilstein dampers and ball joints and whitewall Mastercraft tyres ( $180 each and brilliant )The old tyres fell apart even though they had plenty of tread. Apparently after 5 years old they should be replaced.The seat drive motors casings fell to bits and were replaced too.

Love this car !!!
goldrolls

David Thomas
Experienced User
Username: davidthomas

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2009 - 13:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James - what's the secret to keeping your whitewalls so clean looking?

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2009 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David I'm impressed you noticed!

I have Avons on the Rolls and periodically ( about every 3 months) use Jif and a light scourrer to remove brake dust film. Don't worry too much re a bit of white coming off, if at all, its a deep white strip on tyres and after about 5 - 6 years or so you should replace the tyres anyway regardless of tread. However I would recommend frequent 6-12 month rotations, this has kept mine all wearing very evenly. Mine are now 4 years old and frankly still look very good close up.
I use Maguiers tyre gel to keep the tyres nice and shiney as it does not splatter over the body work and seems to soak into the tyres and lasts for weeks. I apply a light coat every few washes as this seems to keep the finish, I hate sticky synthetic tyre sprays as they go everywhere and the first puddle you go through it washes off anyway.

Dave BTW love your Spur, it is close to Cotswold isn't it. When people ask me what colour the Rolls is I usually just say Champagne.... its easier that Cotswold and avoids the 'what colour is that' question.

Cleanaing the cars is something I get tremendous satisfaction out of. It certainly isnt a chore for me. It is very satisfying seeing my Crewe babies clean and shiney!

Cheers

J