Various Club Memberships Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Various Club Memberships « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Carson
Yet to post message
Username: brian_carson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2009 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks. This will be my maiden “post”. I have viewed this forum for some months now, since joining the Qld branch back in July I have thoroughly enjoyed what you have to say. I am not quite yet at the point of owning a RR, however I have been fortunate enough to spend some time with some members at functions, getting my “fill” of advice and suggestions in my search for my first car. To continue with my “information gathering “phase, I have been reading the various club newsletters. I noticed that a recent edition of the Capital Letter was published here but I don’t see any other recent ones, Are they available on any other site?
For that matter I was wondering if many of you are members of other RR related groups, for example the RREC in the UK. I have been to the UK a couple of times in the last twelve months and seemed to miss the opportunity to see some of the important events regarding RR enthusiasm. I would be grateful for any advice or suggestion in this regard. Keep up the good banter; it’s at the very least, entertaining to read!

Brian Crump
Frequent User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2009 - 14:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
Welcome.
Yes, the current issues of London and Derby (NSW), Praeclarum (Federal) and the Capital Letter (ACT) are all available here on line to members. Many of us are members of the RROCA, the RREC and the RROC and I am sure you will find membership of all three to be valuable.
Happy hunting in your quest for a Rolls-Royce.
Regards,
Brian Crump
Senior V-P and Membership Secretary, RROCA (NSW) Inc.

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.6.89.150
Posted on Sunday, 25 October, 2009 - 03:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

More welcomes. We R-R/B people are a pretty international group. I write from California, one of my best friends writes in from Hong Kong. We get around. Hope you enjoy yourself.

As to your finding a car. I will just say that while one can of course, do one's research and get very organised, several of my favorites of my cars have just seemed to come my way, like orphans that needed adoption. So I would say to you, not to get absolutely locked into a particular one that you are interested in, and possibly miss a wonderful car, that just didn't quite fit what you thought you wanted.

Best of luck.

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Shostrom
Prolific User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, 26 October, 2009 - 23:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome to our fold, Brian! In answer to your question, yes, many of us are members of other RR clubs, such as the RREC. When you really get to looking through this site, you'll see that there isn't much that collectively we haven't experienced with Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars, and yet, some new and interesting question or experience always seems to pop up. To get a feel for things, I highly recommend you have a look through Bill Coburn's excellent Tee One Topics. Like Craig, I can also say that the vast majority of cars I've owned over the years have come to me in one way or another. I like to think that after they've been in my custodianship that they were all the better for it, but perhaps that is my own ego coupled with a sense of anal-retentive absurdity. I suppose you would want to consider how you will use your car, i.e. will it be solely for pleasure, or will it occasionally be pressed into daily service? In my case, every car I've owned has been used as my regular form of transport as well as pleasurable outings and club activities. In addition to the more esoteric aspects of ownership, I've also delighted in maintaining the cars to the highest possible standards. Certainly each one of them has had their own unique character and charm -- and they'be all had some sort of interesting story behind them.

Good luck, and keep us informed as to developments.

Brian Carson
New User
Username: brian_carson

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2009 - 12:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for your replys. I have decided to join the RREC as well and have received my membership details already. Thank you also for your advice on my search for a suitable vehicle. I have already taken the view that it will just happen and not rushing into it yet.
I have been to a couple of days out with the QLD division and met some very nice and helpful people. I also have the added benefit of a good friend who has let me use his car (Bentley S2) to attend these events so I am learning a great deal every day. And I agree with the comments regarding Bill's articles...an absolute treasure and all written so even I can understand it ...this augers well for me, knowing such support is available.
I'll keep you posted.
Regards
Brian