Manifold ceramic coating in gloss black Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Manifold ceramic coating in gloss black « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, 17 October, 2009 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,

I want to get the exhaust manifolds ceramic coated on my MK6, has anybody done this? Who did they use? How does it look? How does it go for underbonnet temperature and performance? I am trying to achieve the original "stove enamel" look.

Cheers

Marty

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, 17 October, 2009 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These guys are around the corner from me:

http://www.performancecoating.com.au/benefits_exhaust.html

Anybody used them?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2009 - 16:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just saw a set of Silver Shadow manifolds finished in POR exhaust treatment, and I must say that they look very smart indeed.

Personally, I would not go for ceramic or other such treatments, and I must say that the POR alternative seems excellent. POR products are often accliamed as being extremely good. Americans swear by POR, and especially RROC (Inc) members, so I am inclined even to use the appropriate product to revive my Turbo R rocker covers as the steam clean required by Customs and Quarantine has left them dull.

http://ppcco.com.au/

RHT.

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2009 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

I have used the POR Black Velvet on Ghost and Phantom exhaust manifolds, it works well and looks great, but is a flat black finish. Not sure it does anything to reduce underbonnet temperatures.

Are you back in Canberra permanently?

Cheers

Marty

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2009 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin, I'm in Canberra permanently, whatever that means. It may be Sydney or abroad next week, who knows.

Anyhow, if it's underbonnet heat you are concerend about, then a white or chromed exhaust and manifold would nelp reduce that by a tiny amount. A black manifold will only add to heat radiation from the exhaust system, even if only again by a very small amount. Refer to Black Body Radiation and Planck’s Law of Radiation. Water pipes are usually white in colour to minimise radiated heat loss.

Mind you, underbonnet heat has never been a concern on a MkVI or R-Type. Early Mulsanne Turbos were criticised mildly for underbonnet heat, but are still a far cry from a Jaguar XJ6, even when the Jaguars are fitted with the mandatory battery cooling fans and fuel line heat exchangers from the refrigeration system.

RHT.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2009 - 22:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin/ Ceramic enamel shiny finishes on the exhaust manifolds would be simply vulgar may I suggest! The POR stuff that Richard has mentioned would be perfect. Jaguars used to have shiny exhaust manifolds among other problems!

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, 19 October, 2009 - 21:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mildly criticised? I worked on one turbo Bentley that had fried just about everything under the bonnet. The wiring loom was crunchy!

Bill, they do a satin finish ceramic coating as well.

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2009 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,

I went for their "cast iron grey" which is an identical finish in colour and finish to POR15 black velvet. Doing it on a customers car first, will report back on the results. Supposedly 40% reduction in temp. Will test it with the laser thermometer.

cheers

Marty

Mark Taxis
Experienced User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2009 - 12:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin
I will be most interested to hear how this went, my Mk6 special suffers from overheating and anything I can do to reduce the under bonnet heat build up will be beneficial
Rgds
Mark

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2009 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

anything I can do to reduce the under bonnet heat build up will be beneficial

Err.

If it is so fragile, albeit unlikely on these cars, colour it anything but black. Silver would probably offer the lowest manifold heat radiation coefficient if underbonnet heat worries you.