Coachwork By ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Coachwork By ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Experienced User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2009 - 06:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HiAll,Can someone tell me who built what re coachwork on our cars throughout the history of models.
Barry

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2009 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry - yes, but you'll have to go out and buy the books. Maybe look out for them on Ebay they are often pretty cheap on there.. I'm afraid / imagine that there are far too many for anybody to do a comprehensive list on here.

I've got a 1926 Limousine Landaulette in at the moment with a Croall and Croall Body. Really well built, haven't come across them before(but then I'm really a post war Guy).

David Fairbrother
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 121.208.210.241
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2009 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry, From the books I have, it would appear that there are over 60 coach builders who supplied bodies for Rolls Royce chassis between 1906 and 1939 alone so it really depends on what you are looking for to be able to answer your question.
David

(Message approved by david_gore)

Barry Brears
Experienced User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2009 - 13:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David and Paul guess I was just referring to my T1 Bentley SBH 17291.
Barry

Brian Crump
Frequent User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2009 - 15:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it is a standard Bentley T1 then it is bodied by Rolls-Royce who had their bodies built at Pressed Metal which I believe may have been a division of Leyland.
May I be so bold as to encourage you to join the RROCA and in the published magazines you will find much of the information you seek?
Regards,
Brian Crump

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2009 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry,

you should also be able to get the original build sheets from the RREC, in the UK. Barbara Westlake looks after the archive there. I think it costs around £40. Sometimes it's very interesting (if the customer keeps changing their mind, especially) sometimes quite short.

Gavan Evans
Experienced User
Username: gavan

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2009 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barbara is great. I went over there, drove straight from Heathrow - very welcoming, looked after our 3 year old while I looked around. Wouldn't let him go under the rope around the old Silver Ghost - but we got some great shots of them, nonetheless. Really interesting paperwork on my SRH14634, regardless of how much/little there is.

Brian Crump
Frequent User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, 09 October, 2009 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The body company was Pressed Steel Fisher which was later part of BL.
Not Pressed Metal.
Regards,
Brian