Royce with a turbocharged Wankel engi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Royce with a turbocharged Wankel engine? Twin crankshafts anyone? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 17:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear List,

Having taken half a day off, I invested my afternoon doing what I do for a living: patents...

I searched, just for the fun of it, the published patents of Rolls Royce motorcars that might have been relevant to the 1990 models and found some very nice examples of technologies that they patented in the 70's and 80´s.

There are turbocharged Wankel engines, twin crankshaft (H-configuration) engines, hybrid generator/drive drivelines. the list goes on.

I selected the funniest and put them in a list that I will post below. You can just type the number in google and you will get the patent through many of the free patent viewing services.

Or you can use the much better European Patent Office search tool, just copy and paste the number:

http://ep.espacenet.com/numberSearch?locale=en_EP

I am quite sure that you will have a good laugh thinking of your Shadow with that nice hybrid drive and a turbocharged Wankel...

See you.

Lluís

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RR Turbocharged Wankel engine: GB1468087
Details of said engine: GB1437528
Injection system for said engine: GB1435728
Beautiful rotor GB1459039

Flywheel generator and starter (as in Prius): GB1513871

H-configuration engine GB2038936

What amazes me the most is that some of these ideas were actually patented by RR in many countries, so someone in RR must have taken more or less seriuosly these ideas.

And well, I love this one WO9400316 (retractor for mascot). In case you zoom in, you will see that either the engineer or the patent attorney had some sense of humour: the "flying lady" has a really naughty/smily expression.

(Message edited by Lluís on 04 September 2009)

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And by the way, in case anybody would like to have publication numbers of some relevant patents for 1990's models (wiper system, boost control systems, seat belts, Airbag deployment, etc...) just let me know.

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Lluis, thank you so much for this fascinating information! I've just had a look, and am enthralled. This is definitely the sort of historical information that can really give us an idea of what Rolls-Royce were thinking at the time. Well done! Regards, John

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the way Lluis, I'd be interested to learn more about RR's airbag deployment designs -- I clearly recall some years back that the BMW people told me it was impossible to supply airbags behind veneered panels. Certainly that was not true, and I always felt the job done on passenger airbags by RR for later SZ and the Seraph/Arnage range was very well-executed.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is possible, as set forth is the following patent publication from, yes, RR.

WO9308043

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 21:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thinking about these things: yes , whereas they actually developed them in house and were really interested in them, is another story that cannot be deduced from a mere pat. application. But I also found them fascinating.

I believe that at least some of the applications do however correspond to real in-house developments that never saw the light: for example the five speed automatic of 1979 GB2031531

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 903
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Regarding the turbo-charged Wankel engine - I have followed up on this engine in the past and have been told it was a project for the UK armed forces. R-R were given a brief to develop a diesel version of the Wankel engine.

The engineering staff at Crewe determined the only feasible way of achieving the compression ratio necessary for the diesel engine to function was to use a two chamber rotary design with the first stage acting as a supercharger to force feed air into the second stage where fuel was injected and compression ignition would occur. The seals of a rotary engine were not capable of withstanding the pressures necessary in a single chamber engine to achieve compression ignition.

Anecdotal comment from a Crewe employee at the time indicated that whenever the rotary diesel was tested, the noise was incredible and the factory was filled with exhaust smoke. The complaints to management tested the vocabulary of the complainants.

The Wankel diesel engine never got past the prototype stage and reportedly was shelved in favour of a traditional reciprocating diesel engine design.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 21:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dummy, I was so excited with the idea of a Royce with a vibration less Wankel... No seriously, indeed, the latest documents concerning the Wankel engine deal with the seals and a diesel indirect injection system, I did not find any twin-chamber engine, however. Maybe they did not apply for protection after all.

I think that the gearboxes from 1978-1980 are however fascinating and most probably for the road cars.

Nigel Johnson
Experienced User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2009 - 01:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rolls Royce would have had to take out a licence to develope a Wankel engine. Or be linked with someone who did.
BSA were linked with Fichtel and Sachs, but F and S did not have manufacturing rights to make engines in BSA's desired HP rating.
In 1971 BSA took up a licence from Audi-NSU to produce engines in the 35 to 60 hp bracket. The cost was 129,000 pounds. The BSA engine had twin contrarotating rotors so I can see how the supercharging was achieved.The RR Patents are after BSA had gone to the wall, so I wonder if RR and Norton pooled resources. Regards, Nigel.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 904
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2009 - 16:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,

R-R did take out a licence from Wankel - this is how I first became aware of this part of R-R's history. The best part for R-R would have been the fact that the British Government paid for their experimentation from the Defence Budget. No doubt the engineers made the most of this opportunity .