1936 20/25 HP Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » 1936 20/25 HP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.6.89.150
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2009 - 02:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Members,

I am being offered a 1936 20/25 which the owner touts as a "long wheelbase" car. I made issue of this terminology, saying that there was simply a "20/25 chassis" which functioned as the standard chassis, as opposed to the longer, and larger horsepower, Phantom. The gentleman produced, with protestations, his build sheets, which, much to my chagrin, stated "Long" on the chassis details section of the sheet. Would anyone care to weigh in as to why there would be a notation of "Long" for the chassis?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, 30 August, 2009 - 02:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 20HP chassis was 129". This was carried over to the 20/25 (series O) in 1929 on the early series of cars although an alternative 'Long' chassis, at 132"wheelbase, was offered for a short while. The 132" chassis was standardised from GLR1 (series R) in 1930, after which this was the only size available. Why the chassis records stated 'Long' in 1936 is anybody's guess.

I would question what records he has shown you. I have just checked my chassis sheets for GGA27 (1933) and there is no heading for chassis (Frame in R-R speak) against which 'Long' could be entered. The only relevant heading is on page one, "Wheelbase", recorded as 11 feet (ie 132"). PDF attached.

What is the chassis number? Is it really a 1936 chassis?

SB
www.boddice.co.uk
application/pdf20/25 build sheet
R-R_buildsheet.pdf (319.8 k)

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 30 August, 2009 - 15:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for your interest. The chassis number of the car is GXK 81. The build sheet page that was forwarded to me looks legitimate is every respect. The only thought I had was that, in 1936, the factory was producing 3 chassis. The 3 1/2 Ltr. Bentley at 126 in. The 20/25 HP at 132 in. And the P. III at 142 in. The only theory I could concieve of was that R-R viewed the chassis as "short, long, longest", or some such theory.

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, 31 August, 2009 - 02:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You had better go out and buy the 20/25, then, and become one of those rare owners of a pre-war banger.

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 31 August, 2009 - 02:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I note from another topic on the discussion boards that you are currently Editor of the P3TS newsletter. I am former owner of 3DL156, the so-called New York Worlds Fair P.III, a lovely Hooper 'Limousine de Ville'. Also WMB 10, a lovely old Wraith. So my enthusiasm is not limited to cars that "shift" themselves.