Wanted ; names of RR AND Bentley wrec... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Wanted ; names of RR AND Bentley wreckers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Yet to post message
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2009 - 16:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,I have just recently purchased a 1974 Bentley T1 chassis number SBH 17291.by all accounts it will need some work.Some parts maybe hard to get or too expensive.So can anyone help with names of good wreckers either in NSW,QLD,VIC.

Regards Barry

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2009 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry,

I have a '74 Shadow and have found that there are one or two cheapish operators on ebay - others not so cheap or reliable.

You do have to go onto ebay UK though (Google it) and ask:

a)if they'll post to Australia and
b) an estimate of the postage cost.

If you message me I'll pass on the addresses of wreckers in the UK that I have found reliable and cheap.

I have a smallish collection of spares, if you need anything just ask and I'll pass on what I don't need - or some advice about where to start searching.

For reasonable prices (postage notwithstanding) you can't go past Montague & co in the UK.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2009 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is an outfit in Queensland which sells secondhand parts. I'll find its name and post it later.

However, Montagues, Introcar and Flying Spares in the UK deal in new and secondhand parts.

Now my opinion, and this is relevant as we run a 1972 T-Series for example.

You will read of many substitute parts on this site. Some are worthwhile, and others just a silly way to save $50 on a shonky part which only partly does the job.

Having stated that, I buy all my parts from the UK, and always new. They are not expensive really, and the sheer availability is worth a hefty premium anyhow.. Shipping to Australia only takes four days, and is only delayed rarely by customs. Customs have an unwritten rule that they don’t bother to apply duty to anything less than $1,000.

New spares are very reasonably priced for these cars compared to BMW for example, and consumables like suspension and engine parts are only worthwhile new. A Silver Shadow shares a vast amount of mechanical parts with Crewe cars up until 1999, so sourcing is not a problem. What is amazing is that spares are readily available off the shelf for almost everything from a MkVI onwards, and for prewar cars is quite good too. Try that with practically any other brand of motorcar !

I would reserve secondhand for accident-damaged durable parts which don't wear or fatigue. That means the likes of bent crossmembers and the like, but never a steering or suspension joint or bush. Things like ball and tapered bearings are almost all off-the-shelf at your local bearing shop like CBC to pattern. It would be brave to buy secondhand body parts unless damage is major, as a good shop will do a better repair. For example, I sourced a set of rust repair panels for a friend's Turbo R, and the repair shop threw them in the bin.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2009 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps: if anyone wants a brand new water pump for an E30, E36 or E40 BMW (most series) BMW free of charge, let me know before Thursday and I'll pop it in my household container from Switzerland or I shall throw it away. Those cars need a new camshaft drive belt and tensioner pulley assembly every 50,000km. We are lucky with Crewe cars ! At the same rime, you always throw the complete water pump away for good measure (an overhaul kit needed for a Silver Shadow every 7 years costs less), and I have one left over from the last time I changed the belt, but threw the spare new belt and tensioner wheelset away.

Also, I have a brand new pair of Left-Hand-Drive main beams (2 filiament) for a my Turbo R, the genuine Cibié ones, and they are for sale for a token amount.

RT.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, 19 August, 2009 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, and many others before us, are quite right about the false economy of many used (and substitute) parts.

What I have found useful though about the current flood of used Shadow parts on the internet is the ability to save quite a bit of money on pieces like trim, broken plastic bits, missing screws, light fittings etc.

It pays to ask questions before buying - you can often negotiate a 'job lot'. I've collected a few broken spares just so I could 'reverse engineer' them (i.e. take 'em to bits) to see how they work and in the process feel more confident about tackling the ones on the car - and in the process have spare parts to replace the pieces that fall down the inevitable black holes only to re-emerge from hiding just after the whole thing is back in place !

Don't despair - as people have pointed out in other threads - Shadows have the incredible luxury of being repairable more cheaply than most modern cars and we are lucky to be owners during this period. Also - in case no-one else has mentioned it to you, Robert Chapman's in Melbourne reproduces and reconditions many parts for our cars, and at very reasonable cost I've found.

Cheers,

Jeff

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, 24 August, 2009 - 23:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well-stated, Richard and Jeffrey. When it comes to consumable parts, there is no substitution for correct new parts and they are available. Also, as has been noted, the price for many of these parts has come down through the years. I can easily understand approaching the breaker's yard if one is searching for, say, a set of headrests in correct Vaumol hide, or some other trim piece. We should consider ourselves lucky -- just compare the price of an SY or SZ window-lift switch to that asked for by Nissan for their cars ... or worse, to the price of a window switch for a 1963-81 Mercedes Benz 600! That'll make your hair stand on end ...

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, 27 August, 2009 - 17:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"or worse, to the price of a window switch for a 1963-81 Mercedes Benz 600! That'll make your hair stand on end ..."

If you're lucky . . . . it causes most peoples hair to drop out!