Becker in the shadow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Becker in the shadow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luke Vero
New User
Username: louisv

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 21 January, 2009 - 06:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Time for a change .SRH 18738 had the original Blaupunkt cassette player to the top dash and still has the radiomobile between seats. The cassette player had seen better days and the radio (MW and LW) likes picking up far off French stations and radio 4.I looked at the various options but none suited the car - bar the Becker Mexico.As a previous thread mentioned this unit is slightly larger than original fitment.Installation involved trimming the steel opening and very carefully trimming the wooden centre panel (only by about 4mm). I choose to do this myself as i worried what a car audio fitter might do. Becker recommend this unit is only fitted 100% vertical(cooling fan etc) but its been fine for well over a year and looks very at home in the car. If anyone's looking to upgrade this is the ticket for earlier cars.It has an i pod attachment with charging and displays tracks on fascia, and a stand alone car phone if needed.A small door opens with choice of 3 compact memory cards for MP3 . Mexico also has satelite navigation with simple on screen directions and voice over car speakers (meaning you dont need to stick ulgy satnav on windscreen - very good thing) . When phonecalls are received the sound comes through the car door speakers and small Microphone supplied was run over to the dashboard near steering wheel (almost invisible). I rewired the speaker cables to all the doors and fitted two way infinity speakers (behind original mesh) . Results are a changed car- nice sound and great on a journey when navigation is needed. The becker unit come's with the complete Europe map and all countries discs are availible. Cost of becker was about £730 when purchased through a German car hifi shop (about £1000 in the UK!. It is expensive but the chrome steel fascia is high quality , suits the Shadow and really brings car up to date without spoiling the dash . See pics of car.

(Message edited by david_gore on 23 January 2009)