Wanted:The cost of your Rolls-Royce/B... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Wanted:The cost of your Rolls-Royce/Bentley (new) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Douglas Robert Shute
Yet to post message
Username: douglasr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 05 December, 2003 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, I am Douglas Shute, here in the states, R.R.O.C. member, and longtime RR & B enthusiast.

I am working on a project to convert the original price of your car to today's dollars, and also the market value of the car today.

I need the original price of your car, and the chassis number if you have that information. Most RR & B cars did not sell for list price. And it is interesting to note what that value is today.

Preliminary Example:
--------------------------------------------------
Year/Model/type/# L(pounds)$(new)$2003 $#1Restored

1906/SG/#60539/L1,060 $8,480 $166,275 $500K +
1924 SG/#394LF/ $10,500 $112,900 $250K +
1980/SSII/ L37,048 $86,100 $192,197 $30K +
SRL141534C

I am including not only factory list pricing but as many individual samples as possible. I am converting the original selling currency to concurrent dollars, and then to 2003 dollars. You can then use today's exchange rates to figure the value in Australian "Dollars".

Advance copies will be sent to participating individuals, as I am sending the results to the Flying Lady, and/or other club publications.

Send replies to me at:
Drslinc@Comcast.net

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Doug
aka DouglasR

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, 05 December, 2003 - 06:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Doug;

You might find this site helpful in working out current values.

http://www.eh.net/ehresources/howmuch/dollarq.php

Regards,
Bill

Douglas Robert Shute
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 05 December, 2003 - 23:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill: Thanks much. I saw this briefly when looking for my charts to exchange/change values. It is good! But I also had to look for L(pounds) and other currencies since RRM sold cars all over the globe. I am getting a fair amount of response and am almost half-way through my list. But the more imformation I receive the better!!. (I can see what RRM was doing with their exports!)

I shall press on...but your help has speeded up the process. Thanks.

Doug.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, 06 December, 2003 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Doug,

The chassis cards from Hunt House for our 1973 Corniche included the factory invoice to the selling dealer when the car was delivered in the UK - our cards are archived off-site at a business records safe storage facility so will have to access then next time we add more records to get the specific information - if my memory is correct, the dealer's profit margin was 15% assuming the car was sold at list price.

IF you are writing an article for the RROC[USA], they also have the chassis card records and may allow you access for research purposes. I am sure the editor of our Federal Magazine "Praeclarum" would be very interested in publishing an article such as you propose.

Douglas Robert Shute
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 06 December, 2003 - 12:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David: Thanks much for the information. You have sparked my interest even moreso. Please be so kind as to send me information even on your car...the more specific information I have, the more accurate my sample will be. It is better for any would-be reader/buyer to know precisely how things were with RRM. It's one thing to say "Ohh they were $31,500 new LIST...and quite another to say: "yes, but we paid $29,256.12". RRM occupied the top of the market-place so it is interesting to see what they did "shifting" the hardware. RRM must do it today to an even greater degree because of the level of skepticism they must overcome after the last four years...so press onward we must. Please send me the info on your car too. I would love that. And take your ideas as well at hand. Am proceeding forthwith.

Doug.

Douglas Robert Shute
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 06 December, 2003 - 23:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...and listing overall calender year production/and model production as well (without getting too detailed on this point) since I have had many enquiries about that at the same time. It will be easy to add.

Doug.