A cold one today Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » A cold one today « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Turner
Experienced User
Username: silver_spur

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 06:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bloody cold this morning! I went out to the car ,the Mercedes, and it was down on the ground as the air suspension leaks off if the car is left for a long period in cold weather, this is quite normal but after waiting for half an hour it wasnt coming up so it was on to plan B . The Wifes car, sorry she says but i need my car today , i suppose seniority counts for nowt. Plan C . Daughter can i borrow you car , another no, ungratefull kid!. Now i was down to a motorcycle or the Rolls, well a bike is a no go so out came the Rolls it has no ABS or traction controlls and weighs 6500lbs so acts like a big sled with summer tires on the ice covered roads but it got me to work in style. thought i would send you a pic of the outside temp gauge.

No comments please about the time i show up for work.

Dave

(Message edited by david_gore on 16 December 2008)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You must have doctored that picture. I wouldn't have thought the car would start at that temperature? How would you change the oil - with a spatula. I have never experienced that temperature and I suspect few in Australia would either. And worse still I can't think how to one up you on a national theme. I once had a kangaroo literally plastered over the grill of my S2. We were doing about 40 mph, the 'roo stopped, turned to face us with a gesture of 'I dare you' and by the time I finished deciding he was spreadeagled on the grill. We literally had to peel it off as there was no cooling for the radiator. Most amazingly the grill was not damaged! No picture sorry - days before digital cameras! Thanks for sharing that temperature, I'm going for a dip in my pool!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 854
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

You are bringing back memories of being caught in a blizzard between Calgary and Moosejaw during the winter of 1974/75 when the outside temperature including windchill was -45deg F - never been so cold in my life and never want to be this cold again! The actual temperature was probably very close to your reading. Spent 8 hours late afternoon at a RCMP road block till the blizzard passed and cars/trucks/buses retrieved from the verges. Didn't get to Moosejaw till after midnight to wake up our motel owner.

Two outcomes may eventuate from your choice of transport:

1. If you own the business, the employees are going to ask for a pay rise.

2. If you are an employee, the owner will want to reduce your pay as they are paying you too much.

Seriously, this goes to prove the versatility of our cars regardless of weather conditions.

StevenBrown
Experienced User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I should have stayed in Las Vegas a few weekends ago. Have the same weather. Roads are a little worse, actually.

StevenBrown
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No replies when I started first reply.

Mr. Coburn, has Me wondering if our cars have block heater plugs.

Craig Knight
New User
Username: grum_ck

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I’m going to stop complaining about it being -4. OK, I’m not going to stop, but I may complain a little less.

I assume it is stored indoors, so it started OK this morning… hopefully it starts tonight if it’s parked outside all day!?

Peter Colwell
Frequent User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 12:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have good friends in Edmonton Canada and have been there many times, - but only in summer. They describe summer as 'three weeks of poor skiing.'

Initially, I was surprised to see all the supermarket car park spaces have plug-ins for engine heaters. They are everywere. And many cars have remote-control starting, so that the car can be warmed a little while its driver is still inside the house.

The temp drops to - 45°C during blizzards, and I have actually been speaking on the phone with our friends, - discussing the 150°F difference in out temps at the same time.

The son of this family works at the oil sands mine at Fort MacMurray in the frozen north. Where it really gets cold. His challenging job is keeping the diesel machinery running.

David Turner
Experienced User
Username: silver_spur

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 13:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glad you all liked the pictures , Car was of course stored inside ,but sat outside all day. As the cars do not have block heaters fitted i could not plug her in yet at 4;00pm she started first touch with 10/40 oil in the sump,not ideal i know,the temp on the way home was -20C or cooler. This is a particularly cool spell for here in Calgary, No one is in his pool at this time of the year but last weekend was warm enough for motorcycle riding.
Dave

Gus Brogden
Experienced User
Username: gus

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We had the same here in Kelowna last week. I drove the Shadow all week in 8 C weather, saturday brings -20. I'm afraid the RR's are now parked for the season.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 15:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually there is provision for block heaters in our vee eights. I have never seen one but they are listed in some of the old Shadow spares manuals. They are installed in the long cylindrical water jackets that run along the side of the engine under the cylinder blocks. Entry is gained through the very large screw in plugs at the front.

StevenBrown
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 15:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My current weather and environment for that matter, is like Kelowna. Have relatives in Alberta. Driven across Canada, Vancouver to Toronto move, in middle of December.

Gus Brogden
Experienced User
Username: gus

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 16:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dont mind driving my antiques in the cold as long as they get started warm. Its just after the first snowfall of the year, when all the salt and grit is applied to the roads that I dont like. Its so hard on finishes and bodies. Back home yesterday it was -50 with the wind chill factor. Im at the point that I despise canadian winters. I cant wait till the kid is finished school so the wife and I can move to New Zealand. Can I say that on this site?

StevenBrown
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, 17 December, 2008 - 02:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm good with accents and figuring out things like she is from Australia or New Zealand and in one LA shop: "você fala o português" Works wonder's with introducing yourself to Women. Or why Canadians in International travel put their flag on their back packs! Example: walk into a shop and you say: "você fala o português" or even better: "é você português" to the girl behind the counter, you'll make her day, noticing she is Portuguese and not from Mexico; if your lucky she may become very intrigued as in: who is this guy. If your in a bar in Edmonton and you ask: "what part of Australia are you from?" and she replies: "I'm not Australian-- I'm from New Zealand" just politely walk away Man, your not going to get warmed up! Think that's the only time national origin really matters............ :-)