Rolls Royce Trivia ... Turbos Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Rolls Royce Trivia ... Turbos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dr Popper
New User
Username: drpopper

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2008 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been reading up and I thought it might be fun to do a little trivia Question.
Forum Trivia works like this ...first person with the correct answer gets to ask the next question.

I'll start it off with ....

Q : How many RR models were released with Turbocharged engines ?

Martin Cutler
Frequent User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, 14 December, 2008 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Rolls Royces, they where only fitted to Bentleys.

Dr Popper
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 14 December, 2008 - 20:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BZZZZZZZ ...wrong
No less then 5 RR models were turbos

Martin Cutler
Frequent User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, 14 December, 2008 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We all know W.O. didn't approve of superchargers, how many model Rolls Royces where fitted with superchargers?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 799
Posted on Sunday, 14 December, 2008 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thousands starting with the RR production Merlin engine in the Spitfire,1936.

However if we are talking working model car Rolls Royces then I would say none.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PEDANT'S CORNER

Which "RR model" are we referring to:

1. Those made by Rolls-Royce Plc

2. Those made by Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Ltd

Further, when we refer to "model Rolls-Royces" - does this refer to working scale models built by model engineers/hobbyists or full-size production models from a RR factory?

StevenBrown
Experienced User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Gore brings up good questions on the rules. Spitfire, Hurricane, and P51 Mustangs Rolls Royce powered with superchargers.

The RAF used bases in Canada to train pilots during WWII. After the war their base in Victoria, British Columbia, closed. In a hangar when reopened for civilian usage, they found a few Merlin's still crated. Along with at least one completed but never flown P51 trainer.

So does this include engines built but never installed into a machine? I.e: cars, trucks, planes and even tanks, etcetera. Farmers in the U.S also used left over surplus engines to power farm equipment. Total production must be a lot!

I've built plastic models of the above mentioned aircraft. Id love to find models kits of RR/B's and real Bentley's as in W.O's!

Read an article on Mr. Goddard's twin turbo Bentley special (my personnel favorite car) quotes W.O's opinion on her, accordingly he said if Bentley stayed in business, development would evolve into turbo charging.

Paul Pope
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok to Clarify the Question I'm talking about finished cars built at the Crewe factory badged Rolls Royce.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 17:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I refuse to engage in these mental gynastics but I have always understood that only one chassis was supercharged and that by Amhurst Villiers and I think it was a Phantom III (cringes slightly to the left in preparation of salvo!!

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 17:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK all you smart arses. There is one bolt on the SZ cars that has a Whitworth thread - where is it?

Paul Pope
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 18:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seeing as no one has come up with the answer I'll give in and give it.
The Crewe Turbocharged RR models are as follows

1) 1994-5 RR Flying Spur
2) 1995 RR Corniche S
3) 1997-8 RR Silver Spur (LPT)
4) 1997-98 RR Park Ward (LPT)
5) 2000-2003 RR Corniche V (LPT)

I can't help on the Whitworth thread ....

Gus Brogden
Experienced User
Username: gus

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 18:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It wouldnt happen to be on the starter, would it?

(Message edited by gus on 15 December 2008)

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok so I read the question wrongly. Am I right about the Supercharging as distinct from turbocharging.

And Gus No.... but you are dimensionally close.

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok Ok, sorry about that. I should have said starter solenoid.

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

http://www.rroc.org.au/library/31hc_sheila.html

I saw this car many years ago in Sydney. The supercharger was missing, and the owner was looking into putting an Austin 7 motor on it to run the supercharger.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about Merlins, but very interesting info!

As for whitworth threads, I have come across BSF, BSP, BA, and UNF/UNC, but whitworth? I will have to look harder!

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 23:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

no Gus and thanks Martin. I remember when the late Dick Donnely owned it!

David Turner
Experienced User
Username: silver_spur

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

two whitworth bolts , one on each battery terminal

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David / You are right even if they were not counted. Can't think how to get out of that one. Needless to say I have not had every bolt out of our cars but three people have told me this little bit of useless knowledge. The bolt I refer to is one that screws into the base of the transmission housing to hold the gearbox actuator bracket in place.

StevenBrown
Experienced User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Cutler, your link gave me a bright dream idea for a future RR/B project........ Discovered this simular idea already applied in both Seattle and Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Fof0CIen0&feature=related

But I'd install the engine in something like this instead:

http://www.portcarlingboats.com/crackerbox%20notes_files/wooden%20boat.jpg

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 12:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmmm. I seem to have thought there was a whitworth on the Lucas starter of my Jag XJS. I thought I could win by guessing. I still should get an "E" for effort.

David Turner
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 13:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill i would not of thought any thread in the transmission would be anything but UNF/UNC with the transmission having come from the USA.
I would definately give Gus his E for effort as he may well have another there on the starter.
Dave

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2008 - 14:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK you lot the judge (that's me) his decision is final! The only reason I knew this is that a mate went into a big Sydney RR place and during a look over the bolt was known to be missing. Well put one in he asked? Haven't got one its a funny thread. Later when I got the car I called my wrecker man and he told me the story and sent me one!

David Turner
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, 17 December, 2008 - 02:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another trivia question , What part of the car was known by the name "merlin"

David Turner
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, 20 December, 2008 - 01:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

????? no one wants a go at the merlin question????

Craig Knight
Experienced User
Username: grum_ck

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 20 December, 2008 - 01:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Everybody is busy for Christmas? I’ll go with the obvious answer of the engine – it would be true in at least a couple of ‘special’ cases anyway.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Saturday, 20 December, 2008 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear. Next we'll start on Qantas RB211 turbohairdryers and Dennis B81 firelighters.

Brian Crump
Experienced User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, 20 December, 2008 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll pass on the Merlin; I just don't know and sorry, Richard, I don't fly QANTAS...
However, in the Spirit of Christmas, and because I have failed to find the answer anywhere else, I will award a nice bottle of bubbly to the first person who can answer; what is Savigear?
If Bill Coburn happens to come up with the answer then I insist I will help him drink his awarded bottle...
Regards,
Brian Crump

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, 23 December, 2008 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

Stab in the dark here, but your PII goes into first gear from standstill very easily, no crunching, which for a gearbox that doesn't have synchro on first, is unusual. Admittedly I have only put it into firsat gear when the gearbox is cold, so the oil hasn't had a chance to warm up and thin out. When I move other PII's into first gear, Bill Hall's and John Matheson's, they both need to be put into a gear with synchro first, and then into first, to avoid crunching. John's has synchro on 3rd and 4th, Bill's has synchro on 2nd. Maybe it has somthing to do with a sort of brake on the 1st gear, like the clutch brake on the WO Bentleys. Might be worth while lifting the floorboards and investigating?

Bill's PII is quiet when selecting reverse, so long as you have the revs low and are patient, whilst John's won't go into reverse quietly, no matter how long you wait, you have to select 3rd, then reverse for a quiet change. Your 'box is very quiet and easy to select reverse. Maybe it is a Continental thing? I thought the Continental only referred to the length of the chassis, but your vacuum tank is larger than on standard PII's, so maybe something extra on the gearbox as well.

Cheers

Marty

Anton De Bloch
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 79.84.208.95
Posted on Monday, 22 December, 2008 - 20:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

4500 replies on google so far for Savigear.
You will have to define a related domain of application!
Both my Silver Spirits are Masons Black, is there an equivalent colour in Australia ?

Just like to say happy christmas to all of you and a thank you for the free access to your forums that permits me to keep the carrs running reasonably well, as I am not a mechanic;
Happy new year as well

(Message approved by david_gore)