Wraith, Park Ward WHD 57 on ebay Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Wraith, Park Ward WHD 57 on ebay « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Cutler
Frequent User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, 08 December, 2008 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

Does anybody know of this car? Is it known to the Club? it just says Central West NSW, it sure is a beuatiful shape! Is 4.9 litres correct for a 1951 Wraith?

Cheers

Marty

Andre Blaize
New User
Username: parkward

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 08 December, 2008 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It was for sale in PRAE/ 4176- 4208 ... 4282. It was dark green. 4.9 engine was fitted from LDLW163 (late 1954) so it's a transplant.
Andre Blaize

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, 09 December, 2008 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hate to be a pedant, but if the car in question is a 1951 model, then it is a 'Silver Wraith'. The 'Wraith' was a Pre-War car and had a totally different engine (overhead valves and not an 'F' Head). Often referred to as the quietest R-R ever built.
Many refer to the Post-War Silver Wraiths, simply as Wraiths, but putting it in print will permanently put all reference to the models in error.

The early Silver Wraiths had the 4 1/4 Litre engine and it was upgraded to a 4 1/2 Litre on the later models. It seems likely that the 4.9 Litre engine was a transplant but I'm not putting my money on it. When the Silver Clouds were released in 1955, they had the 4887 c.c. engine and it is more than likely that these were installed in the later Silver Wraiths (they certainly were towards the end of their reign in 1959 as they virtually had a Silver Cloud Chassis).
Never say "Never" as far as coachbuilt cars are concerned.

Martin Cutler
Frequent User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, 09 December, 2008 - 20:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My apologies Robert, after just reading the excellent article by David Neely in the latest Club mag, I should have known better!

Cheers

Marty

Tiny Harrison
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.181.135.149
Posted on Saturday, 20 June, 2009 - 17:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can I request vehicle history for a R-R anywhere? I would like to find out if it was an Australian Delivered car in 1970. CRH-7297.

(Message approved by david_gore)