Lambs Wool Over Rugs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Lambs Wool Over Rugs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 - 12:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can someone please tell me the best product or method of cleaning the lambswool mats. I think mine were once beige, but have now taken on a rather strange green 'hue' amongst some rather nasty looking stains. Does one simply get them dry cleaned?

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 - 13:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Lawrence,
There are two methods you can try yourself.
Usually the best cleaner is Eucalyptus Oil which can be applied in small areas at a time by dabbing it with a soft cloth. I find that Eucalyptus Oil removes most stains from everything.
You might want to take the lambswool out of your car first lest you attract the odd stray Koala , but I think you will be more than satisfied with the result. Eucalyptus Oil has been a long standing cleaner for all wool products for donkey’s years.
You can also try some Sard Wonder Soap by getting a bowl of warm water and applying it with one cloth and rinsing it with another. That stuff’s pretty good too.

As with all areas of cleaning, try it on a small inconspicuous area first before leaping into to the main areas, just in case there is an undesirable result.
You should be pretty safe with the above applications though.

Please tell us the result.

James Feller
Experienced User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 - 13:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use of all things Martha Gardeners Wool Wash. Every few months put them in my washing machine on cold wool wash with the old MG wool wash and on gentle cycle with spin. Yep, as they are wool I treat them like a 'jumper'. You could also soak them just in case a machine wash is too harsh although to date mine come up really well. I let them hang on the line to dry and then I fluff them up, works for me..... but the logs books say to use water sparingly, however as yours are 'that' dirty Lawrence I cannot see how at the least soaking them in cool water with wool wash can hurt them?

Brian Crump
Experienced User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 - 16:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do NOT dryclean them as the fibre insert will buckle and distort. Hand wash in Martha Gardner Woolwash, spin dry and dry on the line out of the shade.do the process gemtly and there should be no problems.
If, however, you do want to dryclean them the wool part will come up well and you can replace the fibre liner with a modern synthetic material from a motor trimmmer. You may even want to restitch a new material on the back as the hessian deteriorates easily - just make sure you hand stitch for originality and include the R-R information panel under the driver's side over-mat.
Regards,
Brian

David Thomas
New User
Username: davidthomas

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lawrence

When I acquired my '75 Shadow late last year I had the original rugs dry-cleaned but before doing so I had Robert Casha in Melbourne remove the hessian backing. After the wool part had been dry-cleaned he then re-stitched the hessian backing on. They came up extremely well - albeit the original colour has faded over the years.

Hope this helps.

Michel Malik
New User
Username: michel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 22 October, 2008 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have light coloured marks on one of my dark blue rugs.

I will try Eucalyptus Oil and see if I get lucky...

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, 23 October, 2008 - 13:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interestingly, over time and exposure to sunlight, certain colours will change. Lambswool rugs that were once originally Sahara, Cumberland Stone and other beige hues, tend to turn green. Grey hues tend to turn purple. Whilst proper cleaning can remove obstinate marks, nothing can be done to restore the original colour, and it is best to consider a new set of rugs at the right time.