FAO Bill Coburn Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » FAO Bill Coburn « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Toby Bovingdon
Yet to post message
Username: toby_bovingdon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 20 June, 2008 - 20:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill

Could you supply me with the serial number of the Bosch Distributor and uprated coil you mentioned in your reply to my ‘Bad Idle Running Rough topic?

Kind regards

Toby

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, 20 June, 2008 - 20:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To send private messages to individual forum users, please use the contact links rather than create a separate topic or message. This is easily achieved by clicking on someone's name in a post and following the link for private messaging.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 978
Posted on Friday, 20 June, 2008 - 21:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Toby,

A note like this is easily missed if not sent direct. But I received the question from you before and lost it. Sorry. I have a 1984 Spur which stopped. Called the NRMA who in my experience are the quickest diagnosers. Turned out the high tension current which as you know comes down the centre wire in the distributor cap through the carbon electrode along the brass conductor and jumps over to the next terminal in the distributor cap.

Another NRMA man joined us in the meantime and it was he that started camping it up about what colour nail polish the first man was using? Regretting that I had not brought my hip flask of Balveney with me I stared open mouthed as this little tableau was enacted!

Nail polish was indeed eventually produced from a tool kit and after a considerable struggle the rotor was removed, a dab of the fluid placed inside and allowed the dry. Rotor back on, cap on turn the key instant start. Quite an experience. The nail polish was enough insulation to stop the shorting!

Back home I thought I'll clean the distributor up a bit since being electronic it is virtually never opened. More struggling to get the rotor off and I was aware I had partially pulled the guts out of the thing. Seems that the top part of the mechanism which in 'pointed' cars is held down by a substantial screw, is held down by a plastic plug. This plug is no longer available.

I then realised that the electronics in the distributor were old and found that RA Chapman in Bayswater Melbourne sold a replacement unit with coil which was basically Bosch and used the latest in the electronic gear. You should be aware that RR did not have the happiest record in that department mainly if not solely due to suppliers.

That is what I installed for a bit over $800. I had to send my old distributor to them and they transferred the drive gear to the new unit. Now I find that it is not a standard distributor, but is a standard Bosch that has been machined to fit down the hole Daddy!

Some little time ago I had a '86 Turbo dumped on my doorstep. Seems that the former owner had fitted a Falcon distributor which is Bosch but left the drive gear to sort itself out. The gear literally ate the camshaft drive gear then as a final gesture jumped one emaciated tooth and bent the distributor shaft. This stopped the distributor from being removed. The solution was to remove the transmission, take off the rear engine cover plate, bash the bent shaft and the dissy came out! An expensive exercise!

I don't know where you are but I assume Aust in which case give Bob (RA Chapman) a call {(03) 9720-3997} and talk it over with him. I am delighted with the new unit!

Toby Bovingdon
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 21 June, 2008 - 01:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the email Bill.
The serial numbers and info on the fit would be great.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 979
Posted on Saturday, 21 June, 2008 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Toby Apparently the design of the distributor is a lot more complex than I realised. For that reason it is not practical to pass on a 'recipe'.
There is the added aspect that Bob has invested quite heavily in the design and development of the unit and sales obviously are necessary to recoup these costs.

Therefore I suggest you contact him - his email is Robert Chapman Automotive [chapmanr@iprimus.com.au] and see if it is practical to pursue the unit. One thing I would advise is not to replace the unit with the original as the technology I am advised is way out of date by modern standards.

Toby Bovingdon
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 24 June, 2008 - 02:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info Bill.
I got my car to the RREC Summer Rally this weekend. It ran rough but I had to get to the biggest show of the UK calendar.
Now I just need to fix it!!

Toby Bovingdon
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 26 June, 2008 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had the carbs rebalanced and now it's running like a dream. Two days so far and no problems. I've asked the garage to keep it for a couple of days to ensure it doesn't go off again.