Spur Vs Spirit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Spur Vs Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lawrence Heasman
New User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 26 May, 2008 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone please let me know, apart from the longer wheel base, if the Silver Spur has any other significant extras / features over the Spirit.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 984
Posted on Sunday, 13 July, 2008 - 23:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well there is this dinky little lid on the armrest in the rear seat for me to store the condoms and scotch but the real extra is the extra four inches. That is leg room I am talking about! Oh and the handbook has Spur on it. In Canberra where I live there is a plot by the ultra left to minimise parking spaces so when you park you have 4 inches hanging out in the stream. All that said they look better are far more comfortable and ride better. As one of the members of the Board said at the cocktail party to present the new car at York Motors, "The Board of Rolls-Royce were quite amazed at how many men were prepared to pay ten thousand pounds for an extra 4 inches!'

James Feller
Experienced User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, 14 July, 2008 - 12:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder if Lawrence ever did buy a Spur... perhapes Lawrence if you check these pages you can let us know. Many dialogues went back and forth in the Spirit Technical section re his purchase.
Now Bill, how much better can you ride with 4 extra inches... having no need for extra inches, my ride has never received a complaint, in fact praises and applause abound.... my Spirit also gets a worthy salute too...

:o)

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 985
Posted on Monday, 14 July, 2008 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well James I am not suggesting all you owners of short Spirits graft in some inches however much you may covert them. Actually it is not noticeable until we get in the back of the 'condensed' model. It is in fact a strange phenomenon of large cars (the standard size ones) how lttle leg room there is in the back. We also have a Lexus LX470 four wheel drive which slightly emulates a tank yet on a long journey despite being beautifully made one does get somewhat cramped in the legs. What do these designers do with all that wheelbase ? The worst example was the Lexus Soarer which only came to Australia as a grey import. Apparently for weight distribution they had to move the engine rearwards and again it was the rear seaters that had to suffer. In fact in that car only amputees can ride comfortably. And for the full cake try getting in the back of the GT Bentley! I did and it took two men to get me out again. My head was so close to the roof I could not read the various controls etc above my head and to these day still don't know what they do. I pushed and pulled them as appropriate but none I regret to say operated an ejection seat. Yet the car is feted as a true four seater. Orthopometry is a science it seems that has not reached the Factory!

James Feller
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 14 July, 2008 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LOL...

Yes I made that same mistake in the back of a Conti GT and had to be tow roped out too....

I will admit, I have only been in the back of my car twice and while not cramped, it was reasonable snug.... I am 6'1", tall that is.....
Interestingly though, while not hugely rotund, i take a 38" pant these days.... I need to have the drivers seat all the way back to be comfortable behind the wheel. When in situ, it is very comfortable in the drivers chair but isn't it interesting that for such a long car it is really not that hugh on the inside.
The best for interior room must be Merc S classes, you really could do tumble turns in the back.
The worst I reckon was the late 90's Jags.... while quite snug and comfy in the front, I simply could not sit straight with my legs in front of me in the back of a XJR. I had to adopt a stooped bat like posture for 10 mintues and could not wait till get out. I was amazed at how tight they are in the back.
Back to Spirit and Spur though, you think Crewe would have made the front seat go back a little further though huh? I am not wanting to sit like a low rider but a couple more inches of rearward travel would be nice....

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2008 - 22:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes indeed, I am now the very proud owner of SCAZN00A5KCH24747 an '89 Silver Spur, and should take delivery next week. I am VERY excited and can't wait to see if it will fit in my single garage!! Anyway, I would like to thank you all for all your advice and words of wisdom and I am sure many K's of 'serene wafting' lie infront of me!

James Feller
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, 21 July, 2008 - 21:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well congratulations Lawrence,

I wish you happy and safe motoring! I hope it brings you as much pleasure as mine has brought me.

Get the car registered into the RROCA, and you can enjoy all the RR&B news and club events.

Just remember, look after it well, service and maintain it properly and it will look after you!

Again great to read your news

Kind regards

James

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 22 July, 2008 - 00:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks James, I plan to join 'the club' ASAP. Having purchased a car with a 'chequered history' it will be great to get the RROCA team to have a good look and maybe a giggle at my purchase!

James Feller
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 22 July, 2008 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hmmmmm chequered.... sounds intriging!

J

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, 22 July, 2008 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, its come from the Japanese Embassy in Canberra after being imported from Japan about 10 years ago, I think, hence why its taking so long to get it as it has to get Aus compliance as apparently diplomatic cars do not have to go through this when imported as they have the good old 'diplomatic immunity'! Anyway it was also a rather odd colour, a sort of dark gold / red.
I finally realised that I would be looking forever for my perfect interior and exterior, so I've gone for it and had it resprayed dark blue. I had the guys at Devonshire motors do a pre purchase, and it seems to be in good condition mechanically, just looking forward to all the leaks!!!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Tuesday, 22 July, 2008 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You may be in luck. My meagre records show that your car is a 1988 model year car. Even if it were a 1989 model YEAR car, but was built in 1988, you would probably be in luck, as 1989 model year car deliveries started in September 1988.

Your car does NOT need Australian compliance if it was built before January 1, 1989. Cars built before January 1989 are exempt by law. See:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/importing_vehicles/index.aspx

Best is to buy the build sheets by emailing Barbara Westlatke at the RREC:

Records Archivist is Mrs Barbara Westlake, who can be contacted at:

Email: barbarawestlake@rrec.org.uk
Fax +44 (0)1327 811797.

Also, there is a bonus protection. As your car was presumably a private import, but by a diplomat (the Japanese Embassy itself would NEVER buy an english car, let alone a Rolls-Royce. R-Rs have sadly long been forbidden even by the Jaguar-infested British High Commission), it would automatically qualify for diplomatic status. As such, an act of parliament ensures that it may be resold in Australia without any additional taxes or restrictions. The law specifically exempts vehicles so owned from Australian compliance. Being a Canberra bloke, I know this.

Further, if a vehicle has at any time been registered in Australia, it is forever freed of compliance restrictions.

RT.

James Feller
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2008 - 09:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There's a bit of mongrel in us all. The orginal colour sounds 'interesting' Lawrence. Dark Blue sounds much better. As a yard stick what did the respray cost? I like to know these things for reference. You don't have to tell me if its too personal but I would have thought about $20K??
Anyway,as I said enjoy and have fun with your new machine, I never stop smiling when piloting my old girl!

James

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2008 - 13:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a post from a testy old man. Let's not worry about the colour or the paint. Cars will run without paint! (James my Spur was painted about 7 years ago at McMillens and cost I believe $35K. It was a superb job. The biggest problem after such a job is ensuring the the car has been put back together properly!)

For Lawrence if you like to email me (spur84@bigpond.com) I will send you a paper I wrote for the Victoria Branch on servicing with particular application to cars of unknown or dubious service history. As you may know I live in Canberra and think I know all the cars here but I have not heard of yours. Who serviced it?

James Feller
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2008 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there,

Bill I hope your not 'testy' with me.... Frankly its none of my concern or business what colour Lawrence's car is or was. As I stated I wish him only the best for his new toy. I was just interested in what a respray would be worth these days. I agree with you its more important that the job has been done properly.
I had to have my roof resprayed about 12 months ago when some bonehead threw an egg from a great height at my car. It struck the middle of my roof with great force while I drove by. Needless to say it scared the bejesus out of me and sounded as though a huge ball had struck the roof. Incidious damage was done not by the egg itself but rather the sharp shards of shell as it shattered. It was like someone had struck the roof with a wire brush. It left an amazing chipped circular mark that went down to metal.
McMillans fixed this up for me too and they did an excellent job. I was lucky they told me as they did not have to remove either the front or rear screens. McMillans charged me about $1500 from memory which I thought was quite good value considering the work to colour match that would have been done. It is impossible to tell where it hit. I was lucky it didn't dent the roof.

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2008 - 23:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James/ I am not testy at anyone. I just get irritated when owners and would be owners get serious about whether the cocktail cabinets have the correct single malt in them. I have written so many stories about people buying these cars with the perfect lambswool mats or the handbooks in wonderful condition etc only to find that the car has a split engine block. I hasten to add that I am not proscribing these observations because the bottom line is, it is none of my bloody business. But as you know my main aim in the life that is left to me is to promote the idea of maintaining the cars, that is keep them going. One thing that loosens my entire alimentary system is concours judging which is quite unreasonable since if the tarty bits are tarted up hopefully the rest of the car has some chance. But so often I have seen very well presented cars which are verging on junk underneath. There was a case some years back where a near concours winner was stopped shortly after the judging, on a public road, for routine checking by the police. The car was actually condemned on the spot by the police and had to be recovered on the back of a truck. There is no solution to this other than perhaps insisting that that concours entrants submit their car to a licensed inspector and the report presented to the judges before they even look at the car. The problem with the present approach is that it encourages people to paint their calipers and polish the tail shaft even though they know that the brake pads are almost down to the metal. Only a month or so ago I saw a post55 car that was exquisite in its finish in all respects. Closer inspection revealed that the entire front suspension had to be replaced due to lack of lubrication and sheer wear! The analogy I always think of is putting an immaculate tailored outfit on for a special occasion and not bathing and changing your underwear! All this makes me testy - not you!

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2008 - 23:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's a pic of it outside the dealers before the respray. As the dealer is paying for the compliance etc, I'll let him carry on and do it as its getting the 'inspection' done as we speak. The more info I can glean the better.

As far as the respray goes its costing $3,500 as the dealer owns the ovens of the paint shop. Its has not been taken back to the bare metal but the original paint was in good condition to start with. Hopefully I'll get it later this week and I'll put some pics up on the website.

James Feller
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, 26 July, 2008 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahhh yes, its like a rosey kind of metallic crimson. I have seen this colour before. Its not that bad actually, in fact my folks had a Benz 560 SEL in a similar colour called 'Almondine' in the late 80's that was pretty close to this colour Lawrence. It looked good then and now I occasionally see them about and they still look good.
Not wishing to aggreivate Mr Coburn anymore with my next comment but I reckon your choice of dark blue with the existing cream interior will look much more handsome. However Bill is quite right make sure the job is done properly to begin with and also it is important to make sure the mechanicnals are ship shape which I assume from your excitment they are or will soon be.
I post my old girl for evereyone to have a squiz at.... we are off to the RR Club BBQ Lunch tomorrow at Ourimbah for a waft and a chat... serene trip is hoped for...

Cheers

J

(Message edited by david_gore on 27 July 2008)

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 26 July, 2008 - 15:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a stunning example James. What colour is it? Looks a bit like the light oyster. Did you de-badge it yourself or was it like that originally? Heres a pic of mine looking rather sore in the paint shop. As i said for $3500 I won't be getting a bare metal respray but hopefully they have done a good job. Will find out very soon!!

James Feller
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, 27 July, 2008 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HI Lawrence,

Thank you, it is nice I agree! Its a colour called Coswold Beige. Its a champagne metallic silver. Its a hard colour to quantify as its not grey and not silver, its warmer than silver hence the best way I can describe it is champagne.
Nope, no 'de-baging' has been done. Series 1 cars 80-89 did not get badging at the rear. Series 2 cars ie Silver Spirit II cars got badging at the rear as yours has.

Don't worry I am sure it will look wonderful when its done.

cannot wait to see your photos

Cheers

James

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, 27 July, 2008 - 12:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,
That's interesting because my Spur is an 88 or 89 build,but has the badge. Was it just the spirits that were not badge?. That colour, is it Coswold or Cotswold? It's rather spledid all the same, but would not look good with the black everflex though!!! I'll get some pics up as soon as i take delivery.
Cheers
Lawrence

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, 27 July, 2008 - 14:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Spur is also a 1989 built in June '89 Ser. 27593, and it has the rear badge.

'89 Royal Blue Spur

James Feller
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 28 July, 2008 - 07:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

I should have been clearer.... Spirits Series 1 80-89 were not badged at the rear. Spurs from their introduction were badged as both of your lovely looking cars are.

Typo Lawrence... yep its Cotswold, as in the Anglia Ranges in northern UK. Yep everflex is something I am personally not a fan of but with some colour combos it can look good.

Yep lets see some photos soon!

Cheers

James

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, 28 July, 2008 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Plenty of series 1 Spirits had badges James, but there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason. Some had 'em some didn't. It may have been a cost cutting exercise by the bean counters during the turbulent early eighties. I would also be interested to see the difference for compliance of an import. By the mid eighties I suspect the Spirits/Spurs would have been of a common world standard.
I look forward to seeing the blue beast on the Peninsular soon Lawrence.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Tuesday, 29 July, 2008 - 00:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the way, badges were a delete option for a price. That is, you paid quite a bit more to have no badges on a new Crewe car. It was a common option chosen on many cars, especially in Europe.

I hope that the opportunity was taken on Lawrence's car to fit the standard retrofit gaskets (UB4363) behind the exterior door handles while the handles were removed. This is important to protect the finish and prevent any electrolytic aluminium corrosion. Also, as the rear screen will also certainly have been removed, it is customary good practice to reflatten the lead loading around the lower screen rim and over the seam in front of the boot lid, and to leave the lead fill as thin as possible (Crewe always applied excessive lead, and it "walks" over time). The corrosion under the window seal would of course have been corrected and any bare metal etch primed before finishing. That car, having being delivered in the UK new, will have needed it especially, and its midlife sojourn in Japan would not have helped.

RT.

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, 29 July, 2008 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mmm, having the evaflex on the roof probably meant that the rear window was not removed as the roof and rear pillars were not getting sprayed. I'll go and look at it maybe today to see what sort of job has been done. Its had to go back into the garage as it was 'spluttering' a bit on the way back from its compliance testing. The dealer reckons it went away after he put in about 20 litres of fuel as it was almost empty. Anyway hopefully it'll get fixed before i take delivery.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, 29 July, 2008 - 14:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Lawrence
I have followed with vivid interest the above discussion on the relative merits of Spurs vs Spirits. In one of your contributions you write that you had your new Spur repainted and changed the colour from gold/red to dark blue. IMHO I never would do such a drastic colour change (my personal taste).
As this is independent from the Spur vs Spirit discussion, I'll start a new thread under General Discussions. Meet you there?
Jonas

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Friday, 01 August, 2008 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back vaguely to the topic: on compliance and importing a vehicle, I have started a new thread.