Technical Library Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Technical Library « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Saturday, 29 December, 2007 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,

We are busily loading the Technical Library on:

http://rrtechnical.info/

Being a plodder, I am having a specific and extremely frustrating difficulty where someone may help, namely case sensitivity. Files which are not case sensitive on my hard drive are case sensitive on the server. Can someone help me ? I am desperate.

For example, TSD6166 opens the main page on:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/Spares/Spares/6580HOME.PDF

but the subpage tries to open on:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/Spares/Spares/6580_4/idx_main.pdf

but fails. It does open on:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/Spares/Spares/6580_4/IDX_MAIN.PDF

It took me about 40 hours to rename all the files in the Silver Shadow manual TSD2476 to make it work:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/TSD2476/TSD2476V3A.htm

and I wish to avoid that if I can in future. Some files are called up as Idx.pdf, others idx.PDF and yet others IDX.PDF. Generally, the files themselves are loaded in ISO form upper case. There are dozens and dozens of documents already loaded but similarly hindered, and any help to eliminate the case sensitivity problem would be enormously appreciated. I have just loaded the MkVI workshop manual, but have the unenviable task now of splitting it into manageable chapters, but I can handle that.

The library is a tremendous resource, and we must all thank those who have contributed so much to it. I am embarrassed that it has taken so long to get it going, but if the case sensitivity issue can be solved, then progress will be far more rapid.

Many thanks,

Richard Treacy.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Saturday, 29 December, 2007 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps: that was a plea for help !

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, 29 December, 2007 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The answer is awfully simple: by convention URLs are case-sensitive. That's all there is to it. I refer you to the W3 Consortium's pages defining HTML 4.0:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/htmlweb.html

I strongly recommend that you convert all filenames to lowercase and proceed from there. For any number of files this would take around five minutes to do on a Unix system.

# find . | awk `{printf("mv %s %sn",$9,totupper($9))|"/bin/bash"}`

Perhaps it's time to move away from Windows to a more sensible and server-friendly Unix-based system, since that's what your web server runs (as do over 90% of web servers). I suspect you have no access to a Unix system so I recommend you investigate, install and use Cygwin to try and get yourself out of trouble.

Another 'gotcha' is that Unix doesn't like a lot of characters in filenames that Windows is perfectly happy with, such as "&", "/", "%" and other non-alphanumeric characters, so it's best to avoid anything you find on the same keys as the numerals on your keyboard. Whitespace will also cause trouble (the most irresponsible thing Microsoft ever did - of too many to count - was to allow whitespace in Windows filenames).

(Message edited by admin on 29 December 2007)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Saturday, 29 December, 2007 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Groan. I knew that the solution would not be a mouse click, having grown up on UNIX and its predecessors until the IBM AT and DOS changed it all. I love UNIX dearly, but will probably now land in a desert of obscurity after all this time. We did UNIX exams in longhand. It was all Minnesota Fortran, Runge-Kutta integration and even Cyber 72's at Sydney U in those days when we graduated in what was called Computer Science at the Basser and not in IT. Now, do I need to buy and restore an IBM360 for the technical library ?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The early MkVI workshop manual is now online in manageable file sizes at:

http://rrtechnical.info/MkVI/02_MkVI_Detail.htm

after quite a few cold showers and standing on my head for an hour or so.

I then went to MediaMarkt and also Dr Fust today and asked for a UNIX-compatible OS, and was stared at as if a Martian. Oh well.

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A message for the RR Forums Administrator: -

I am not a member of the RROC(A), merely an occasional contributor to, and reader of, its message board.

The RROC(A) message board has a worldwide audience and its Technical Library is anticipated as being the most important resource available. Richard Treacy, along with numerous other contributors, have spent thousands of hours preparing the files for upload onto this site.

When somebody of RT's competence is driven to issue a plea for help his message should be treated with a degree of urgency. Your earlier response, written as the representative of this club, was completely unworthy of the RROC(A) and in complete contradiction of its underlying tenet of helping to preserve the marque.

Instead of sneering at Microsoft products, which are used by about 95% of the world's computers, may I suggest that you drop your arrogant attitude and actually do something constructive to help resolve the problem. If you find this idea offensive I would suggest that you seriously consider your position within the RROC(A) as your present stance seems to be nothing short of obstructive.

Just a few objective observations.

SB
mail@boddice.co.uk

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 11:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The RR Forums are not formally affiliated to the RROC(A) but are run as an independent service to RR enthusiasts. I must remind you of the site's Terms of Service. Nothing I post to these forums is posted as a representative of the RROC(A).

Like so many others I do use Microsoft products daily for most of my work, but when I need to do work related to the creation and maintenance of web sites I use Unix because it is simply the better tool and more suited to that task. The majority of web servers world wide run on Unix. (My earlier claim of 90% has declined recently, admittedly.)

In my professional opinion Richard's dilemma derives in large part from his use of Windows for the job and he can very quickly alleviate his problems by moving the task to Unix, which is readily available for free in countless forms and ready to run on his existing PC alongside or within Microsoft Windows. Since Richard already knows Unix it shouldn't be a difficult task for him to find one and get it working.

For various reasons I am no longer in a position to directly offer Richard my help but constructive advice was sought and I have offered mine voluntarily and honestly. If Richard cannot or will not accept my advice that's his affair.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 942
Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 13:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Moving on! Stephe, thanks for those nice accolades, both Richard and I hope that we meet them. The acquisition, processing and placement on the web of information on our cars, daily takes on new importance since the new companies can scarcely be expected to foster our infatuation into a hundred year clutch of models. Technical knowledge of the cars is dying daily as 'old hands' retire and as with any commercial enterprise there is not a great deal of return on memories, past successes and reputation!

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, 25 January, 2008 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A quick SITREP on the library. Richard is working his expatriot butt off loading stuff although the dreaded case problem is still with us. The main manuals with the exception of the Shadow II are up and running and we have now established an account with a help desk in Canberra which/who is pondering the case problem. The latest guess is that it is a Windows quirk but we are not taking money for the tote yet!

There are so many things that can go on this library. I regularly get calls for wiring diagrams for Shadows, and only today the lengths of the HT leads for vee eights. Wiring diagrams are difficult to scan due to their size and for the moment Richard and his merry band have been using overlaps. We may be able to improve on this. All this information I believe is safely stored at the Hunt House in the UK.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Friday, 25 January, 2008 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A quick note and thanks to our Administrator. The problems encountered were apparently indeed related to incompatability between UNIX and Microsoft. Oh well, it's back to good old UNIX. Fortunately, I grew up on UNIX and its predecessors.

Let's load the Technical Library as it is obviously very popular ! Email or post me all suitable material digitally please.