Bentley Spotting Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Bentley Spotting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Monday, 10 December, 2007 - 22:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://rrtechnical.info/RareBentleys/RareBentleys.pdf

And you thought train spotters are mad. See the only production Camargue towards the end. Even though the pre-production Camargue was a Bentley, only one was sold and not until 1985.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Monday, 10 December, 2007 - 23:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And the video:

http://rrtechnical.info/RareBentleys/Beast.avi

Jordan Devine
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 59.101.215.59
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2007 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gday Richard,

Surely I'm not that mad. I'm simply a Bentley and Rolls Royce enthusiast who keeps a blog called www.bentleyspotting.com

My site is just at the other end of the RR&B media spectrum. Lets say Robert Wort's Crewe'd Jottings and Bill Coburn's Tee-One Topics are peer reviewed academic journals, well mine is more of a supermarket isle magazine with high gloss pictures, gossip, celebrity and of course Royalty.

I generally make it a Saturday morning hobby to write a few articles about Bentleys and the occasional Rolls Royce. What you have linked to is a "copy" of one month of my posts. I have been writing www.Bentleyspotting.com for a little over a year and have written about 300 articles so far.

So it may not be technical, but it certainly has content. I also like to highlight new internet technologies, like interactive satellite images, videos, interactive books and also 'photoshopped' images and animations.

Reading my work as a .pdf file takes away this interactivity, were nearly all the photos can be enlarged, videos can be played, and maps navigated. I would suggest to read my content from www.bentleyspotting.com directly.

This is my first contact with RROC of Aust, so I do find it a little interesting, if not odd - verging on wrong, that a "copy" of my work has ended up in the technical library of the RROC of AU, with no acknowledgement, recognition, negotiation, let alone a link to my site for reference, or simply an email to see if it's 'no worries mate'? Hint, hint.

From the link to the clubs technical info I note you have called my work 'rare Bentleys'. www.bentleyspotting.com is indeed a large source of information on rare Bentleys. I have a keen interest in coach built cars from the 80's, 90's and today (very FM radio) - and yes they do exist, just very hard to find information on. Hence the reason why my site did not appear overnight, and has required vast research with just a touch of effort.

As my site is now quite large, navigation is not the easiest. However one can read the content month by month as you have presented, or can sort the articles by car model, coach builder, or labels like videos, Sultans, Sheiks, Kings and Queens, ebay etc.

I thank you for bringing www.bentleyspotting.com to the attention of the club with a one month copy of my site, and I do plan to join the club in the near future.

On a more personal note, I just read that you grew up in Canberra. I am a Melbourne boy myself, but recently have moved to Canberra. I have yet to 'spot' a Bentley T on the road in the Capital, so will look out for 13.000. I have yet to personally purchase a car, as I want my first to be a proper one.

Jordan Devine

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 773
Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2007 - 14:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jordan,

Please register as a user so you can access the privileges of this forum and you can upgrade your status when you join the RROC[Aust] to access the member's content including the club magazines.

I trust your comment about material being present in the archives without acknowledgement or permission is not correct as we are careful to ensure all material is properly acknowledged where relevant - could you please email me the details of your material and I will investigate further.

I appreciated the link to your blog that Richard provided and spent more time than I should have browsing the contents. Your work is another welcome addition to the resources available to R-R/Bentley enthusiasts.

Regards David

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2007 - 21:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jordan,

Sorry I did not acknowledge your name explicitly, but naming people can introduce other complications. I think I was sent the link by a friend in the USA. However, to be fair, www.bentleyspotting.com is acknowledged on each and every page of the files attached above. I shall be more careful in future, so please accept my apologies.

RT.

ps: 13000 is garaged at home in Forrest, and is mostly driven in that general area including Manuka, Kingston, Red Hill and Civic, as is RT13. They are both well-known locally and at Broulee. My best mate has a Turbo R in Mugga Way.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 941
Posted on Monday, 24 December, 2007 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jordan/ I am quite amazed at my lack of awareness of your efforts until now particularly since I live in Canberra. Perhaps we can at least correspond? spur84@bigpond.com

Jordan
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 59.101.215.59
Posted on Monday, 24 December, 2007 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Reading over my previous post it is a total rant, and I do even come across a bit bitchy. Good old internet venting. Not the nicest way to introduce myself to the club message board, but oh well it's done.

I really don't mind at all having other sources to read my site from, it was just a little surprising to see it here.

I am very willing to give the RROC archives any source files, photos and videos that appear on my site. I attempt to reference most material that I use, and seek permission if relevant.

My site actually started as a bit of a playground for some University study in multimedia. In the future I could be of some assistance to the club in freshing up some old photos and the like, and I don't mind a bit of Googling research.

After a slightly strange and now sheepish introduction, feel free to comment on any posts the I have done on my site, and any corrections that need to be made. I am sure there are plenty. I do try and keep the site interesting and tend to write slightly tongue in cheek.

Hi Bill, I will certainly send you an email. I am a fan of your work, and plan to read your work in more detail once I am an owner. I have mentioned you on my site here, here and may have called you a superstar here.

Merry Christmas and appropriate holiday greetings to all, now how about some music? This video is a real treat for RR&B enthusiasts.

Link to Video

Jordan Devine

Margaret Gillings
Experienced User
Username: margaret

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, 27 December, 2007 - 06:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jordan,
It's good to hear that you may be joining the RROCA. However, a word of advice; many of us find the adjective "proper", when applied to our cars, a bit cringeworthy. This twee phrase and its acronym sprang up some years ago. It is insulting to other fine marques and only reinforces the outsider's view that we are a bunch of snobs, which we're not.
Cheers Margaret

.Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 58.96.137.156
Posted on Thursday, 27 December, 2007 - 11:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jordon Hi, just a quick question. Have you ever heard of a Bentley Hearse? I have been wondering this for quite a while, but have never been able to find the answer.

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 26 December, 2007 - 11:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few months ago I was driving a Mitsubishi 380 in Adelaide when a car on a side road decided that it did not want to give way to me. I braked sharply as did the other car, belatedly. I was more that surprised to realise that it was a Bentley GT. I have to admit that I called it something other than a Bentley... But it did start with "B" !

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 28 January, 2008 - 15:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have often wondered why the Bentley Company has not done a production run based on the 2 State Bentleys. These are really good looking cars & have a lot of appeal. I guess though, that the cost would be prohibitive.