Almost finished - my Spirit transform... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Almost finished - my Spirit transformation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, 19 November, 2007 - 06:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So thought I would reflect on the last year and a half. Just for those who care to read, or those who maybe thinking about buying. As most of you know, I purchased an 82 spirit, 50000 miles on the clock from a close family friend. It had not been used or driven much to to the health of the owner, so little did I know it had been sitting for 3 or so years. Most of what I did to the car was probably not needed, but I felt that if I wanted something to be a daily driver, I would just go for it. I had it in my mind (as most of you do here on this board) that if I were to ever get a Rolls I would not be one of those people who just bought it and drove it until it broke down, not putting the needed work in the car to make it wonderful.

Well, that was probably 30,000 us dollars ago (not including sales price). I think I went a little wild, and still a few things to do. oh well...

New breaks, calipers etc.
New fuel pump
Rebuilt Alternator
New Hubcaps
Completely redone interior, with only the door panels dyed
New EGR Valve
Coolant service
All oil services, every 2 months to clean it out
Full tune up, all spark plugs etc etc
compression checks
Exhaust Manifold
Thermostat
rebuilt starter
new rear struts
mineral oil flush
New Tyres
Mostly new paint
and on, and on, and on, and on.... I feel ill every time I think about it.

but, there is nothing in the world that I like to do better then drive my reliable car.... The only thing I really want to do is get the dash either dyed, or recovered. Since I do not like dyed seats that much, I think recovering at this point is my best option. Whats a few more thousand?

Anyone care to share their stories?

(Message edited by david_gore on 19 November 2007)

James Feller
New User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, 20 November, 2007 - 11:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jason,

A bit like you, I have spent quite a tidy sum on mine when I first purchased for mostly preventative rather than desperate maintenance. Not quite 30K US mind you but 10K Aus so far.... and more to come over the years I suspect but again like you as I get so much pleasure from purring around in it I don't really care, within reason of course.... I heard a horror story from my mechanic last time I was down there about a T2.
I noticed this beautiful late model T2 Bentley in there. I asked John what was being done to it as it looked so clean inside and out I assumed it was just a service. Never assume.... 30K was about to be spend on a motor and gearbox overhaul... true it had done about 300 klsm but this was not the reason, the elderly owners wife apparently had driven it around for months with virtually no oil in the engine or gearbox, most must have been on their garage floor!!

Now back to my car, as it was in very good condition both mechanically and cosmetically when I purchased it I have not had the huge expense of cosmetic or major mechanical rectifications to contend with.

However I will quickly list what has been done from my memory;

2 full Services - All fluids from radiator to diff and oils etc etc were flushed and renewed.
2 minor oil leaks from the rocker covers were rectified
New steering rack as the orginal started to leak
New top arm control joints}
New coolant and fan thermostats and relays and a few HSMO hoses joints
New front spheres - rears were done 12 months before I bought it so were fine as were 4 new bilstin shocks plus brake discs/rotors and pads. Incidentally this 'little' service cost the previous owner $4K for the brakes, shocks and spheres.
New Blaupunkt stereo system installed, orginal blaupunkt was rubbish by now.
New white wall avons
the Air cond drip tray cleared of detritious to stop the wet foot and rug issue when cornering!!!
Various minor eletrical stuff but an Air cond control board was bloody expensive for some reason!!!
New Oxygen senor
Cruise Control bellows repaired

and that is about it that I can think of....

I just love the champagne colour, it was what really attracted me orginally. Quite why its called Cotswold Beige by Crewe is a mystery as the car is most certainly not 'Beige' and the Cotswold Ranges in Northern England look nothing like beige in colour..... green is the colour that comes to mind :o)

Happy Rollering all.

James

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, 21 November, 2007 - 10:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"So thought I would reflect on the last year and a half. that was probably 30,000 us dollars ago (not including sales price)"

Wow. Some people don't even make that in a year and a half...

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 765
Posted on Thursday, 22 November, 2007 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I could justify this expediture on something that will last for a very long time quite easily especially when compared to alternative expenditure over the years on tobacco, alcohol and entertainment products that are effectively "here today and gone tomorrow".

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, 23 November, 2007 - 04:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"So thought I would reflect on the last year and a half. that was probably 30,000 us dollars ago (not including sales price)"

Wow. Some people don't even make that in a year and a half..."

Larry, or anyone else... Not meaning to sound inflamatory, but what do others do? Live with the non serious issues? I could have probably done nothing to my car, and it would have been fine, and I could have purchased a newer car, but no one in my city will work on one newer then 1988 or so. So, I have what I have...

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, 23 November, 2007 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure what others do. I also spent about that (including purchase price) for my '89 Spur since buying it in 2002, but haven't completely redone the seat leather. My seats are nice, but definitely not perfect. I'd love to get an interior as beautiful as yours. Maybe someday.

Well, now that yours is up to snuff, hopefully you're using it. These things need to be used regularly.