Silver Cloud rear view mirror Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Silver Cloud rear view mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Jones
New User
Username: jeffoir

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, 14 September, 2007 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone please help!!!! I'm desperate for a Silver Cloud rear view dash mounted mirror. Been looking everywhere but nobody seems to have any.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: client-81-108-180-152.brig.adsl.tesco.net
Posted on Thursday, 20 September, 2007 - 05:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I should imagine that RR fitted a varity of different makes and styles of mirrors to the Cloud.

After WWII RR/Bentley largely stopped making accessories such as mirrors and used companies like Britax who would supply a standard mirror that had been selected off the line as a better than normal one. ( say no chrome defects or stiff lever )

From memory the mirror had a chrome plated case and bracket.

So "any old" mirror will do the job.

Try a Jag Etype Rag top.

Only a total nerdy cretin would point out that the mirror was not genuine.

And in any case who would know that that Cloud had the wrong mirror.

A concurs Judge once said to me that half the time he is unsure as to what the original car details are actually meant to be like.

Where cars are made in large numbers like a Ford Cortina then a Judge can know exactly what mirrors should be fitted.

Doing something like a 1962 Ford Cortina to concurs is actually harder than doing a Cloud because the details are so well known.

Also making a door card for a cloud is childs play compared to making a door card for a Cortina.

I bet that there will be a nerd who knows every detail of a 1962 Cortina even how many fake stitches is moulded into the plastic of the door card.

I know of a Ford Capri 3 litre that has been waiting for good original door cards to turn up for years.

Assuming that because one Cloud has a Britax chrome dipping mirror, all Clouds around that time would be the same is wrong. Because the first owner may have said some like "I don't want a std flat one I want a big convex one"

If a customer said that at a Ford dealer even a Ford dealer would pop down to Halfords and get one ( at extra cost )

I used to PDI new cars ( pre delivery inspection ) and often there would be extras on the job card------ bumper overiders, mudflaps and Radio upgrades were common.

Also if you turn the mirror 180 degrees a head rail one will fit the dash.

(Message approved by david_gore)