Radios Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Radios « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: client-86-29-86-255.brig.adsl.tesco.net
Posted on Friday, 27 July, 2007 - 03:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Becker
do radio /cd players that look old.

BigRed

Overhaul brake calipers paint them in whatever color you want and fit stainless steel pistons

(Message approved by david_gore)

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: client-81-108-184-10.brig.adsl.tesco.net
Posted on Monday, 30 July, 2007 - 02:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

More about Becker.

They make a system called Mexico.

It is MP3 compatiable and Ipod.

6 CD changer.

Digital AM FM Radio.

Blue tooth

The head unit ( the bit on the dash ) has knobs at either end and is NOT din so it may fit where the 8 track went on Shadows. It also looks very 60's/70's.

The rest fit where ever.

In my opinion cassette and 8 track tape are aweful when compared to CDs.

If I were to send my Shadow to Jack Barclays for an overhaul then this is what RR would suggest for audio. They would not refit an 8 track because sound quality etc has made enormous advances in 30 years.

The whole lot costs £1200. Which is reasonable compared to some sound systems I have seen fitted to cars.

Many years ago I was involved with a Rock and Roll band and we used 5 120 watt RMS Marshals and a 200 watt RMS Orange for PA, and that lot in a pub was quite loud, enough to cause hearing damage and drown out a jet fighter on reheat.

Yet I read of 3000 watts in cars. They must use little watts to measure the power not the proper big ones we used.

So take car audio watts with a pinch of salt.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, 30 July, 2007 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are two "measurements" used for audio power; the first and most valid in my opinion is "RMS @0.1%THD" [RMS="root mean squared" & THS=Total Harmonic Distortion] and the second is "PMP" Peak Music Power.

RMS power is effectively the maximum amount of power the system can deliver before sound distortion becomes obvious and is directly related to the design and quality of components used in the amplifiers. PMP is the absolute power including distortion that can be dragged out of the system with the components working in an overloaded state. If you want quality, RMS is the deciding factor. If it is a case of "mine is bigger than yours", PMP is the measure however the sound is worthless from a listening point of view [any similarities between this statement and real life observations of car sound systems are entirely deliberate ]

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: client-81-108-176-16.brig.adsl.tesco.net
Posted on Wednesday, 01 August, 2007 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Absolutely

How can one drive and pay attention not to run someone over when there is a 500 watt subwoofer on 20 hertz in the drivers earhole.

The human hearing works from 20 hertz to 20k hertz. Below 20 hertz at around 16 hertz you feel the noise rather than hear it---- it is like something primative.

Sound in this range can travel miles.

I was listening to Ray Charles --Georgia-- on my less Than £100 CD player and it sounds so good who needs so much bass that it distorts what the recording engineer spent ages balancing out.

My cousin was a sound man for a couple of big name bands and he said that he spends day after day mixing from a master tape using £10,000's worth of sound equipment and other expert earholes to get the album just right and someone thinks they can do better with a Radio Shack £200 equaliser then god bless them because he can't-- or words to that effect.

In other words the best quality is when all the embelishments are turn off and the CD is played with all controls set to midway.

RMS is 0.707 of peak, peak being before the amplifier distorts. meaning that anything quoted RMS will do what it says on the can.

In the band we used to get transistor radios rip the guts out wire a clean feed from a guitar across the volume pot and wire the output to the speaker into a 120watt Marshal. What happens is that the amp in the radio gets overloaded and distorts the signals then goes to the amp which regardless of loud it is, is still distorted by a predictable amount. Which is how we got an aggressive sound. Overloading big amps is not controlable and stupid