Recover Leather "faces" only? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Recover Leather "faces" only? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2007 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am debating if I should replace the leather on my front seats, there is a place in California which still has Connolly Leathers. While the seats are in fair condition, I think they have been dyed one too many times, and another dye would be too much.

My Leather person has stated it would be less expensive to just replace the "faces" of the leathers seats, in other words, just the tops, where your rear goes, and your back goes for example. I am luckly that it does not appear the previous dyer actually did a good job, in that the sides do not appear dyed.

What does everyone think?

Douglas Majors
New User
Username: rollerman

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2007 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jason,
I have just had all the leather in SRH15571 re-dyed (same colour as original) and the face of the drivers seat replaced and re padded by a company called European Leathercare here in New Zealand. (WWW. leathertec.co.nz) The U section of the drivers seat was very badly cracked, the other seats had varying degrees of wear and the rest of the leather was dry and faded but they have done such a fantastic job that the interior now looks as fresh as the day the car left the Crewe factory.
If your leather experts can colour match your seats then getting just the faces re done is a far cheaper alternative than a full re fit.
I hope this helps.
Doug M.

before restoration

After restoration

(Message edited by david_gore on 16 July 2007)

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2007 - 11:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow, wonderful job.

My issue, as I am sure is with most, is the driver seat, and inside the U on the passanger seat. No severe, but enough to bother me. The inserts have been dyed, and "spackled" a few times in the past, now loosing the lines. I could probably get away with just the faces on the driver seat, and the U insert on the passanger seat, however worried that the colours will not match perfectly. I generally do not like the dyed look, but they did a fantastic job on your vehicle!

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: client-81-108-190-99.brig.adsl.tesco.net
Posted on Thursday, 26 July, 2007 - 04:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The driver seat swab is interchangeable with the passengers so wear can be evened out.

I don't think this was intentional on RR's part

(Message approved by david_gore)