V Power - The New Shell Optimax Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » V Power - The New Shell Optimax « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, 12 March, 2007 - 13:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just returned from the service station after filling the tank on the Silver Spur.

V Power is the new name for Optimax and it claims to give you 100 octane. BUT! Read the miniscule fineprint next to the trigger rest and you will now see that they have added 5% Ethanol to it. They didn’t advertise this. So far BP Ultimate is Ethanol free (I think). I immediately left the Shell Depot and went to BP to check and there is, so far, no mention of ethanol in the fuel.

I feel cheated.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Monday, 12 March, 2007 - 14:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cheated I agree.

I used to fill at the Shell thingo nearby on the school run until V Power came in. They dropped 98-octane 3 years ago in this neck of the woods, and started the V Power stuff with a its silly price. They still sell 95-octane, but I have always filled with 98 or higher elsewhere ever since.

Peter Colwell
Experienced User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, 12 March, 2007 - 14:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you go to the Shell web site you can see that Shell V Power is the old Optimax 98 octane. It contains NO ethanol. }

The new V Power Racing is the one that contains 5% ethanol, and is 100 octane.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, 12 March, 2007 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Service Station I went to had all of the V Power pumps as V Power Racing which explains why I couldn't find an Ethanol Free version.

I will have to keep my eyes peeled. Thank you for the info.