Volkswagen Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Volkswagen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 861
Posted on Thursday, 08 February, 2007 - 19:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The name when initially it was floated in the same tub as Bentley, grated - badly. A bit like K Mart and Cartier! I am old enough to remember the very first Volkswagens initially built by a Major Mead - a member of the British Commonwealth Occupying Force that was saddled with the reconstruction of what was left of Germany. The Volkswagen Factory is in Dresden that was reduced to gravel by allied bombers but like the Phoenix rose to new splendor.

So my son sends me a web site which I have goggled NOT Googled at for the last hour. I suggest you do a little googling also.

I short we are in good hands it would seem!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1837641

Stephe Boddice
Experienced User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 02:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Only slightly more sophisticated than my own facilities!

I note that they have adopted a manufacturing process originally devised by Gerald Palmer for the Jowett Javelin - viz, a rotating cradle to allow the body to be inverted for installation of the mechanical bits.

There's nowt new in the automotive industry.

SB
www.boddice.co.uk

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stephe

Pleased to hear it. I remember the Jablin with iys put-put motor and its work horse brother the Bradford! But I have contacted VW to order some of those trolleys that know where to go and when. The first one will be the Glen Fiddich trolley which will be programmed to be always on hand so to speak. The rest will no doubt fall in to place.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Sunday, 11 February, 2007 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gerald Palmer was also a sytlist and designed the MG Magnette ZA/ZB and the similar looking Wolseley 4/40.

The MG ZA was a pretty looking car which was face lifted to become the ZB.

I had a 1955 ZA which drove as well as say a 1970's Cortina except it was too low geared so I fitted a ZB axle which made a very nice car indeed.

The ZA was a tidier design of the Javelin without the dubious mechanics.

The Morris Minor was designed to have a flat 4 not unlike the Javelin but fortunately for the motorist Lord Nufield insisted upon a conventional straight 4 and rear wheel drive. (1948). The Mini would probaly have never happened if Alec Isigonis had got his way with the Minor.

Whether Gerald Palmer was invloved in the Minor I do not know but he would have known (Sir)Alec Isigonis

The Minor was also cut down the middle lenght wise and had 4 inches added hence the 4 inch wide raised section of the bonnet. Take away those 4 inches and the Minor does become to look more like a Javelin.

Also so both the Javelin and the Minor are not unlike the VW Beetle.

Major Mead had a lot influence in car design without knowing.

(Message approved by david_gore)