Silver Cloud Colour Combinations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Silver Cloud Colour Combinations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Payne
New User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 05 February, 2007 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In pictures, I have seen a variety of colour combinations, i.e., bonnet, roof, and trunk. roof & trunk only, side with separate colour, etc.

Were there specific factory 2 tone colour combinations for the Cloud II or were the colours chosen by the owners and did the owners also chose the placement of the secondary colour?

John Budden
New User
Username: johnb

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 05 February, 2007 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,
There is a good summary of the Cloud(I) colours and combinations in Bassoli and King's book. If you dont have access email me your address and I will scan in the two or three pages. In summary there seem to be about 50 or so plus there was always the possibility of special requests- of which (two tone non standard green) mine is one for example.
John Budden

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Tuesday, 06 February, 2007 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roll-Royce used ICI paint and had access to 16 million colours including pink.

RR would have a book of prefered colour schemes and most customers took RR advice when it came to chosing colours.

However the customer did always have the last say

I remember a Jaguar XJ6 that was delived new in pink for Dianna Dors. When she tired of the car the suppling agent brought the car back at a very reduced price because of the colour. They were just about to send the car for a respray when a customer thought it was a great colour and paid over the odds because it was an unusal colour.

At the time (1971) the XJ6 was in short supply.

(Message approved by david_gore)

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.6.89.150
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2009 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While visiting the Hythe Rd. works in the early '70s, I was shown, what was at that time, a new Corniche convertible for Ms. Gina Lollabrigida, in "hot" Pink with Black Everflex, and Black and White houndstooth check upholstery! So apparently the customer did have the final word! Also, some years back, was offered a Bentley S.3 long wheelbase, with James Young body whose original handbook and build sheets listed "Light Rose" over "Dark Rose". Yes indeed, two toned Pink. I believe this car is currently being painted Brewster Green...oh thank God.

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2009 - 23:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah, yes, Craig! I remember that Bentley and how surprised we were to discover that the two-tone pink was. in fact, original. At the time, didn't we think that "Light Rose" over "Dark Rose" sounded better than "Light over Dark Pepto-Bismol" ...? I had heard that it was being repainted Midnight Blue, but certainly Brewster Green (BG #1 or #2?) would work well with its red Vaumol upholstery. I just heard that the paint shop who had it for many years, closed about two years ago, so I wonder what has happened to this rare and wonderful car.