RR363 - out of production??? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » RR363 - out of production??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Udo Hoffmüller
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.red-81-32-76.dynamicip.rima-tde.net
Posted on Sunday, 07 January, 2007 - 02:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear friends, I am reading the messages on this board since a long time and found a lot of interesting information.
Now, on a german Bentley forum there is a discussion that Castrol stopped producing RR363. In wonder why this is no subject on this board? Is this information wrong? Do they go on producing RR363 or don't they???

Best regards from Canary Islands - Udo

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 849
Posted on Monday, 08 January, 2007 - 15:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Udo, My first question would be how many Rolls-Royces are there on the Canary Islands?

As to RR363, your informants should not have had trouble researching the answer. It seems it is not well known that British Petroleum (BP) bought Castrol out in 2000! There is no intention to cancel the name Castrol neither is there any intention to cancel any of their products. Castrol as you know is purely an 'oil' company and markets no fuel - probably the more profitable pursuit. In short there is no intention of ceasing production and distribution of RR363. Distribution in this country will occur through BP outlets. If there is a problem there an approach to BP would be a good starting point.

I should mention that there has long been controversy over this product. RR363 from memory came into production and distribution about 1973. Products such as these are bred through formal requests by OEM's (original engine manufacturers). The lubricant manufacturer would charge a likely figure of some $3/4 million to develop the product then a further similar cost would be for testing by two completely independent accredited laboritories. Rolls-Royce at the time would have footed this bill. The scoffers about RR363 who maintain that the introduction of the product was merely a way of making a bit of extra profit conveniently ignore these small details.

Furthermore for those that use DOT4 fluid and believe that slapping a small bottle of olive oil or hair oil or KY into the reservoir will save you a lot of money are perhaps toying with fantasy. As to users of DOT4 in lieu - it is your choice. It is strange though that RR should have gone to such an expense to get this other fancy suff out there on the market!

PS. I have since found out that Volkswagen use 6 different engine oils in their cars and only 2 models actually use the same oil!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 651
Posted on Friday, 09 March, 2007 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Udo,it seems you may be correct,no more RR363.
I have asked my rep if this is the case for the reciepe to be made available.
This will be in a week or so's time.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, 14 March, 2007 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rep has come back with answer;
363 should be delivered some time in April but do-not hold your breath.
Prehaps they are waiting for large orders to be taken before a new batch is produced.
I did have a private direct number but as yet have failed to find it.