Interior mirror Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Interior mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gavan Evans
New User
Username: gavan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2006 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A friend received the mirror below for her uncle from a reputable place and was told it was for a '73 Shadow.

Could anyone please advise me if they think this is right? The mirror in mine has a lever which moves side to side for night driving, while this one moves back and front and the mirror is larger.

Thanks for any help

mirror back

mirror front

(Message edited by david_gore on November 17, 2006)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2006 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It certainly looks as if it is not intended for a Rolls-Royce or Bentley, but of course it would not be rocket science to adapt it. The stem shape and mounting bracket are completely wrong for early SY cars (the mirror type changed at chassis 6000), and the bracket is different again from those of all later SYs and SZs. Apart from the mounting bracket and possibly a narrower ball stem, it does look like the Winguard brand mirror on my SZ Turbo R but nothing like the one on our '72 T-Series. The Winguard mirror on my car is 23cm at its widest by 7cm high, and has the same night changeover toggle as in your picture.

RT.

Gavan Evans
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 18 November, 2006 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh well, we'll use it until something better comes along. It looks a lot better than the one that was in it.

Thanks Richard.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Saturday, 18 November, 2006 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Question: is the brand name WINGUARD marked on the moulding ? My SZ mirror is so branded at the top left of your first picture.

Gavan Evans
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 19 November, 2006 - 12:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, it is branded as Wingard. I've tried to find it among pictures on the internet, but few photos clearly show the mirror.

I swapped the plate at the top ball joint for the one from the car and fitted it. It takes up a bit more viewing area from the windscreen.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2006 - 00:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't worry about originality and if the mirror works and looks in keeping which the rest of the car then keep it.

Rolls-Royce would have a standard design for the mirror, but if a customer asked for a different one then thats what was fitted.

I once fitted different switches for the interior lights on an old Rover P4. When I sold it the first buyer said he was hoping for a totally original car and having the wrong ( better quality) switches spoilt an otherwise very good car, so I sold it to someone else. Some are very picky.

My mirror is chrome

(Message approved by david_gore)