Shannons Sale 4-5/11/06 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Shannons Sale 4-5/11/06 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Colwell
Experienced User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 08 November, 2006 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Shannons auctioned a Phantom V at their post-Motor Show sale in Sydney. PV3. In the event that car was passed in on a bid of $110,000.

However the NSW RTA plate sale was a rivetting affair. Fifty original numerical plates, and fifty special issue plates netted $4.2 million. Bidding was enthusiastic and sometimes frantic, with jumps of $10,000 not unusual.

The highest price was $120,000 for plate '288'. Many others sold in the $90,000 bracket.

Peter

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 668
Posted on Thursday, 09 November, 2006 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just goes to show the "yuppie" generation do not realise value for money.

All the same, how do you value a PV? I would like to know how the owner set his reserve. I did look at this vehicle from the public aisle at the Motor Show but did not ask to have a closer look - it did have an external trunk fitted at the rear which {in my opinion] looked somewhat unusual on the stately PV. I just cannot imagine a dignitary travelling with enough luggage to require external storage capacity.

Peter Colwell
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, 10 November, 2006 - 05:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did have a look at the NRMA report for the Queensland registerd car. Nothing too serious, but enough to stop it obtaining a blue slip in NSW without some work. It would seem to me that a little work and promotion with blue slip may have added some value.

Peter

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 792
Posted on Friday, 10 November, 2006 - 06:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Enough of this speculation!!! Did anyone get a photo or a chassis number. Where did it come from? David's news that it had an an external luggage fitment is extraordinary. I want to know more!!

Peter Colwell
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 10 November, 2006 - 11:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The chassis number is PV3. History from Shannons as follows;
PV3History

Peter Colwell
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, 10 November, 2006 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are several Rolls-Royces being offered at the special Bonhams & Goodman auction in Sydney on November 19th.

http://www.bonhamsandgoodman.com.au/

The gist of the NRMA report for PV3 above is as follows;

1. Engine misfire/uneven idle.

2. Defective transmission inhibitor switch. Prone to jumping in to Drive from Neutral (interesting!!)

3. Oil leakage at engine and transmission. (no, really?!)

4. Fliud leakage at power steering pump and shock absorbers.

5. Surface corrosion at rear body rail.

6. Defects in wipers, turn indicator, headlight, horn and heater controls.

(Message edited by peter colwell on November 10, 2006)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 793
Posted on Friday, 10 November, 2006 - 14:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmm sounds like it is in pretty standard condition! But where is the additional luggage accomodation?

bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2006 - 03:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK there is also a lively market for reg numbers.

My number *** *** having 6 numbers and no age related details is worth about £1000.

It costs £80 to transfer the plate.

Both vehicles must have an MOT.

I heard about one fellow who brought and repaired a moped for the number got the MOT certificate and then gave the moped to the MOT testing station who threw it in the skip for scrap. Evidently the moped had a particularly valuable number and the Moped barely ran just enough to get an MOT

the reg number A1 is most the valuable and I believe it is onwed by Lord Montegue.

However the most I have heard of a Reg no going for was £50,000.

Jimmy Tarbuck had the reg no COM 1C on a Shadow for a while.

The Royal Royces do not have Reg no.

Certain combinations are not issued because they spell rude words.

I also knew of a lad who had SOD 1T on a Cortina whose correct reg was something different.

He drove round like that for a couple of years until the police check the number with the records and he got told to remove the plate or else.

Nowadays the only way a plate can be obtained is with the reg paper work and proof of identity and the supplier must keep a record of all plates sold.

(Message approved by david_gore)