RNAS Armoured Cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » RNAS Armoured Cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher Morris
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 13:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a book about the Royal Naval Air Service Armoured Cars of WW1. It is amazing how they went from the Arctic to the Caucasus, back to the Arctic, round to the persian Gulf and back up to the Caucasus.

"THE CZARS BRITISH SQUADRON", Perrett & Lord. Kimber 1981. ISBN 07183-0268-0

Rick Ford (Rickford)
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not too academic but fun none the less: When trading as the Jack o' Lantern at Romsey in Hampshire, we built two armoured cars on RR Silver Ghost chassis, these were for the film 'Lawrence of Arabia'.

I went out to Spain to where the unit had fled after Jordan proved impossible. In the heat of cinematic battle, reality in the spartan cockpit of these cars was eventful. The noise as the Vickers 303 discharged its blanks was definite and the shells ricocheting around the confines of the body worthy of evasion. Fortunately the first take was OK and 'print it' was the cry. I went to start the Ghost, wreathed as it was in cordite fumes, but... the clutch was solid!

The moral of the story is: if going to war in a Silver Ghost armoured car, make sure the floor boards fit well. The stray cartridge case that wedged the cone clutch had fallen into one of those holes in the clutch assembly. This I did not discover until I had driven the very narrow vision, two ton vehicle back to Almeria with a solid clutch. Still it was 1961 and all was serene until this lurching monster made its way through the village. The compressed CO2 fire extinguisher rolled joyously onto the road, with gloriously detonative result. The chickens fled, the dogs ran, the menfolk put down their Fino but I did not stop.

Website link: http://oliford.portland.co.uk/published/car198.html

Douglas Robert Shute
New User
Username: douglasr

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 05 December, 2003 - 23:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris & Rick: There is an excellent article on RNAS Armoured cars (Rolls-Royce) in Automobile Quarterly, Volumne 39 #3, October. I have a copy and will reread... I would love to own one of THESE! (perfect for getting through traffic here in Washington D.C., and necessary!)

Doug

Douglas Robert Shute
Experienced User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2003 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

CHris & Rick: The article is by David Owen, AQ Volumne 39/#3 and about 15 pages, very good detailed stuff. It covers the cars used as well By Lawrence in Arabia, and interviews Rolls, his driver. Fascinating reading.

Doug.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, 14 December, 2003 - 10:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Doug
I suspect driving a RR armoured car would be one way of getting respect from beltway drivers, most of the time.

Perhaps one day I will risk life and limb to visit you.

Anyone have a RR armoured car I could borrow for the weekend to visit Doug?

Have a great day.
whunter
RROC, Lake Michigan, Motor and Ohio region.
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400 Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Douglas Robert Shute
Experienced User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2003 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Which brings a very interesting question: How many RR SG Armoured cars were there? And how many survived since they were used in both WWi & II. My dim memory tells me that only 3 are known to exist. But I surmise that can't be the case because too many other SG chassis survive for no apparent reason and the MOD would have sold them off for surplus and LL after 1945. ANyone know?

Doug