Aftermarket wheels/hubcaps or wheels/... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Aftermarket wheels/hubcaps or wheels/hubcaps not standard for your vehicle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 07 September, 2006 - 14:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What do you think about this? Regarding my 82 Spirit, I am looking into getting some late Spur wheels fitted. What do you think? I know some will prefer to keep original, and I can respect that. Does anyone know of a good outlet online for aftermarket or original?

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, 07 September, 2006 - 15:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try this site Jason.
http://www.darkforce.com/royce/access.htm

willybee
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.106.210.29.ptr.us.xo.net
Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2006 - 02:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have a look here: (I have no connection to this business)

http://www.wheelconcepts.com/index.html}

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2006 - 16:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some very nice designs here HOWEVER I would want to know where the wheels have been made, by what manufacturer and to what quality control specification before parting with any money especially if you are based overseas.

Compliance with your country's design rules is essential to avoid possible liabilty/compensation problems in the event of an accident arising from a defective wheel.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2006 - 22:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On that site, wheels RR59 to RR77 are standard Bentley wheels from Ronan (finned types) or the later JIL (the nicer ones). The company on this site chromes them, although RR71 is available chromed from Crewe new, as is RR69. Many of these wheels, almost all being 7 1/2" rims, need spacers and some mudguard inner modifications to fit non-Turbo cars.

I would be wary of the wheels advertised there as they are almost certainly secondhand refurbished. Crewe commissioned Ronan and JIL to manufacture these wheels for exclusive sale through Crewe. I also know that the 7-spoke RR71/BT49 wheels are in very short supply new. Crewe will only sell you one if your existing one is damaged.

On the site, RR71 is the same as the Bentley wheel quoted as BT49, but with a plastic RR badge stuck on; likewise RR69 and BT51. I have a set of the BT49 wheels but not chromed on my Turbo R, bought new from Crewe. The chrome plated ones were too garish for me: I have seen the chromes ones on a number of cars and they are a bit too, as they used to say, Bling. In my opinion, 5-spokers look better than 7-spoke rims when on the move.

Expect to pay above A$1800 each unchromed new and A$2200 each chromed. Secondhand or exchange ones are not a good idea from a safety point of view, and cost a minimum of A$1400 each anyhow for the nice ones.

You can buy the drab original unchromed Turbo R wheels, quoted as RR65 and RR66, for next to nothing as no one wants them. There are several thousand of those ugly Ronans littering garages around the world as people update to prettier 17" wheels and larger. I sold my old Ronans with barely used Avons for the going rate of $500 a set.

They are almost too shiny unchromed.

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2006 - 22:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would stick with a later set of original wheels This should solve any legal/insurance issues. The wheels on this 1982 Spur are from a 1995 Spur and look pretty good in my opinion. Jason, maybe you could contact your local agent. Someone may have pimped their ride and no longer need the originals. These wheels were sourced through the UK but I'm not sure from who.