Gliptone "review" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Gliptone "review" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2006 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So, I used the Gliptone Liquid Leather. I must say that it worked alot better then Hide Food in regards to making the leather feel supple, <however> I think I used too much, and I really found the smell to be too "bmw" or "mercedes"

What I mean, is that it almost smelled too leathery, and not enough like "Rolls" smell if you get my drift.

What I ended up doing was using my Hide Food twice since then, and the smell is actually almost perfect.

With the combo of the softness from gliptone, and the smell of Hide Food, maybe a perfect match!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2006 - 21:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great. You will note that both John Shostrom and I have suggested a little Liquid Leather on cleaned hides followed by Hide Food to dilute the somewhat perfumed smell of Liquid Leather for the very reasons you imply. However, after a week or so, Liquid Leather does settle to a more subtle aroma by itself. The key to all these treatments is to clean the leather first with soft soap to avoid a sticky build-up on the surface over time. As marked on the Hide Food container, Use a Little Often.

Gerry Acquilano
New User
Username: miatasportscar

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2006 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adding to Richards remarks, I have found that using Hide Food heated in the microwave for a few seconds, applied to warm hide, does the best job of retaining the original smell. If you're lucky enough to do this on a warm sunny day, leave car outside with windows closed, get it nice and warm inside. Apply the Hide Food (sparingly) with your bare hand. Leave the warm Hide Food on the warm hide for about an hour or so,it'll look melted and shiny on the warm hide. Then wipe with soft towels, buff finally with clean, dry towel. In the 44 years with these cars, I've found this to be the very best way to apply Hide Food to retain the aroma. Surprisingly it just works much better this way, try it yourself.
Gerry Acquilano
CX. 13787