Proper procedure for applying hide food? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Proper procedure for applying hide food? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2006 - 12:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey all,

I remember seeing somewhere here someone talking about how to properly apply hide food. When I apply it, the cream itself does not seem to be smooth enough, so I have patches which get more then others.

Do you let it dry? How much is too much? How often is too often?

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2006 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jason. You can apply Hide Food with your fingers, rather like massaging it into the leather. You can also heat it for a few seconds, in its opened container, in the microwave, and then apply it.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 720
Posted on Thursday, 17 August, 2006 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason/ I use Maguiles (sp?) which is about the consistency of soft butter. Just getting it out of the bottle I find is a pain. But warm it up (be extrememely careful with a microwave - forget it for a second and you could have a major fire) by standing it in boiling water. I put the car closed up out in the sun and get it hot then pour the stuff onto my hand and simply lather it on. Then leave it for as long as you don't need the car. To finish, get old bath towels and polish the surplus off. Have regard for who is going to sit in the car in what. A lady in a new satin dress who sits on a patch of leather dressing you haven't wiped off is licensed to kill so be aware! You may appreciate my anxiety over getting the seat and squab well and truly polished on a certain Phantom VI recently. I think the penalty there is beheading!