Cleaning over rugs. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Cleaning over rugs. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, 24 July, 2006 - 06:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have seen many over rugs in the UK ruined by the use of cornflour as a means of cleaning them.
Cornflour will do the job short term looking great!
After a time and with no visual signs the problem is well on its way.
This is known as the corn weevil, it delights in laying its grubs in the tuffs where traces of the cornflower is left,once this takes place the rugs start to loose the pile.
Best to use "shake and vac"this will clean and bring back the freshness.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Tuesday, 08 August, 2006 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have in the past taken carpets out of cars and washed them in the bath ( after taking the coal out of the bath first )

If you do use baby shampoo because it has lanolin in it and no detergents.

Normal car carpets I use washing powder and most customers are surprised at how well the carpets come up.

Also I have re-dyed carpets using a cold water dye called dylon. Reds all ways come up well.

For oil stains Swarfega and a nail brush works well. Not for lambs wool overugs must use stuff that has lanolin in it.

Also once I took the cloth seat covers off a really dirty car and machined washed them and they came up like new. Much better than using a wet vac.

(Message approved by david_gore)