SUV Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » SUV « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 22:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any comments ?

John Shostrom
Experienced User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 22:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Richard ... oh my. Wel, I don't know that anyone could actually accuse this thing of being beautiful. Somehow, it seems a shame that VW has decided that Bentley needs to step down and compete with the Nissans, BMWs, Porsches, and the rest in the SUV world. I'm sure those looking to step up from a Cayenne will be delighted, and I imagine that is the market VW is aiming for. Still, I can't help but think that old WO himself wouldn't be too thrilled. To me, it's just another SUV with a nameplate and a badge. Cheers!

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 303
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why am I not surprised?

VW is rapidly dissolving the distinctiveness of the marque and turning it into something mundane.

Obviously Bentley is nothing more than a commodity to them.

VW used to be called Hitler's revenge.

Boy! They got that right.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 670
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 23:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

April the first passed ages ago!!

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.128.7
Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard

Yes, it comes under a loose title used to describe accountants (apology to accountants, please complain direct to the editor!) "They understand the cost of everything and the value of nothing"

I am sure we have all seen 'commercially valuable car names' wiped out in the past by such fatal errors conducted by Marketting and PR people.They will never learn. I used to tell my automotive engineers, "you cannot tell a 6 month old baby what 'HOT' means" but you have no problem with the description after the event.

Two most recent events by example, Ford finished the Jaguar name when they called a version of the Ford, the Jaguar X type. The Rover name was finally wiped out when an Austin Metro was called Rover 110.

Perhaps the VW staff should look back and find out what a VW K70 was all about before they finally cook the Bentley name.In the early 70's when I was at Wolfsburg the K70 nearly finished them off. They will never understand what HOT means until it is too late.

Just an opinion, but you did ask!

Regards

Norman

Norman Geeson

(Message approved by david_gore)

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.128.7
Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 00:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard

I did forget to add to my last post.

I understand the rag top Bentley Conti is due to come through the factory gates in the next few days. I wonder who is going to be the first VW PR man to suggest a Bentley Rag Top SUV be put on track.

Norman

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 612
Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 11:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And I thought the British car industry was the main user of "badge engineering" to maximise short-term profits from long-term destruction of a brand name.

"Those who ignore the lessons of history are condemned to repeat them"

Looks like Bentley will become "just another car company" using a common parts bin.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If VW go into production with this vehicle they will have made a serious mistake.

A dealer told me that he had 3 car sales sites and he takes great care to make sure that the bangers go to the banger site and the good stuff go to another and the prestige goes to the another. Mixing them up would damage the public preception of the sites.

imagine a line of prestige cars and in the middle a Ford or whatever.

This is essence what VW will do if they market this car with a Bentley badge.

This is not good news especally as VW supply parts for my Shadow can foresee that we will get parts supply problems because no doubt VW see the older models as a pain.

However it could be good news for the makers of pattern parts.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 01:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mind you, didn't a certain incredibly wealthy individual of some fame start it all with the Bentley Dominator in 1994 ? Three were produced for his pleasure.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 616
Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe they are testing the market for Bentley hearses??????

Enough said.