25/30 on ebay - wildly optimistic sel... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » 25/30 on ebay - wildly optimistic selling price? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

nada dickinson
Yet to post message
Username: matagi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2006 - 09:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

stumbled across this whilst searching on ebay

[Administrator note: the link has been removed in anticipation of its expiry from eBay. Please see below for PDFs of the sale in question]

I would think the chances of it achieving the asking price would be slim at best.

(Message edited by admin on June 16, 2006)

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, 16 June, 2006 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

application/pdfRolls Royce 1938 sedanca deville unrestored MINT 3700ml
ebay_page_image.pdf (357.1 k)

application/pdfQuestions
eBay_Questions.pdf (89.6 k)

(Message edited by admin on June 16, 2006)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2006 - 13:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As the song goes 'nice work if you can get it' a bit like the Silver Dawn drophead which surfaces from time to time. For that kind of money I would be looking for the last 30HP (wonder where that is now?) or perhaps a newly found Legalimit! Still there is always the possibility some one wants just that car!!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 586
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2006 - 14:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This vehicle appears to be owned by a member of the RROC[Australia] South Australian Branch.

I strongly suspect a "typo" when the price was entered.

Mernon Lollich
New User
Username: mernon_lollich

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2006 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Perhaps it was meant to be in Yen?

Mernon Lollich, California
LSJF72

John Richardson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.182.134.10
Posted on Saturday, 10 June, 2006 - 10:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

The seller's answers to questions appear to indicate the price is Not a "typo".

Perhaps someone is interested in the S Handbook currently on ebay under item number 4648096099 - whereby for a mere 2000 Pounds Sterling this book may be theirs ?

Johnny

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 587
Posted on Saturday, 10 June, 2006 - 12:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think we are definitely entering a "silly season" however the worrying thought in my mind is this the beginnings of our "black money" investors trying to turn their assets into cash as they see a world-wide recession coming as oil prices remain high and the US economy collapses from bad management? Prices will drop significantly as other investors put their collectibles on the market to repay their borrowings before the lenders foreclose.

Those of us who can remember and have taken note of the lessons from past downturns in the business cycle have seen it all before.

(Message edited by david_gore on June 10, 2006)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Saturday, 10 June, 2006 - 18:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Comment to John R: yes, Ebay is often quite hilarious. The owner of the S-Series handbook calls it a 1931 model, obviously being confused about Bentley Motors (1931) Ltd. Typical Ebay error.

I assume that the car comes as a free accessory with the handbook. Maybe I should remove the pristine original handbook from its cubbyhole under the dashboard of my R-Type and shove it in a Swiss bank vault.

John Richardson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.182.134.10
Posted on Saturday, 10 June, 2006 - 22:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Probably not a bad idea to ensure your Handbook and Toolkit are Securely Deposited.

A few years back, at about the same time, the Toolkits and Handbooks Disappeared from Two of my R-Types.

Has taken me some years to obtain Acceptable Replacements. The Handbooks were not too bad at about A$200 a copy. However, the Toolkits are
"Gold", as my 2006 purchase prices were in round figures A$3200 and A$3500 respectively. There are some Toolkits/Part Toolkits about with Fake Tools, especially the 3BA x 5BA DOE Spanner, 2BA SOE Spanner and Inlet Tool, so I count myself Fortunate to obtain Good Quality Genuine Toolkits to get the cars as they were. Good Idea to put a magnet on some Tools. From my experience, whilst they cost more, the Best Toolkits/Tools are sourced privately rather than on ebay.

Ergo, the Handbooks, Toolkits and Big Tools for my R-Types No Longer live in the cars, nor does the Toolkit or Handbook for the Shadow. They are Safely Deposited. I Appreciate them - Swiss Banks Do Not seem to pay Interest. Is that why there are Holes in the Cheese ?

Regards,
Johnny

(Message approved by david_gore)