Bentley Eight 1990 seat problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Bentley Eight 1990 seat problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Grice
Yet to post message
Username: nickg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 17 May, 2024 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all.

This is my first post so treat me gently..

I recently had the passenger seat control module replaced but now strange things are happening.

If I am in N or P I can move the seat with the applicable switches but when I put it into gear and drive; when i use the switches to move the seat the mirrors move but not the seat. I just don't get it,

Any advice would be useful. The control module was replaced because the old one stopped working but this is rather confusing.

As with most of th/e RR & Bentley cars there would have been some things added or removed depending on the individual customer requirements so a standard wiring diagram may not necessarily be valid.

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, 17 May, 2024 - 16:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Nick
Welcome.
I know nothing about these particular cars, others will know better than I, however, as a safety feature, I would bet the seat should not be able to move when in drive.
Regards
David

Nick Grice
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 20 May, 2024 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David.

Thanks for the welcome.

Interesting what you say, it always used to move but since the new box it doesn't which makes me wonder if the old box may have been replaced with a repaired more modern model where changes have been made?

Darryl Watson
Frequent User
Username: inox

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, 02 June, 2024 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nick,
The seats can be moved with the car in motion or when stationary irrespective of the gear selected.

You would be better posting this question in the Spirit section.

Service manuals on CD, (a must have item in my opinion due to the complexity of these cars), are available from Flying spares.

I'm not sure if the Eight had seat memory as standard.

Moderator Comment: Given the details provided by the member, I am leaving this post where it is as it is more likely to be read by others that may be able to contribute advice on this request.

Nick Grice
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 10 September, 2024 - 23:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Darryl.
Thanks for the in formation, there seems to be varying versions as whether the seats should move or not whilst driving. I think I have the CD you refer to so will trake a look.
Thanks Again.

Nick

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 813
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2024 - 01:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thats correct , only the mirrors ajust while driving.

Nick Grice
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 19 September, 2024 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael.

Thanks for getting back to me, but the problem seems to be that if I move the seat buttons the mirrors move... they never used to be like that and I did replace the battery on the ECU. I think there may be some sort of crossed wire somewhere.

I think I may need to check the wiring again although I did mark all the wires etc to ensure I connected it up correctly, also wondering if the battery could be wrong although like I say when I first start the car the seats work.
Thanks again for your input.

Darryl Watson
Frequent User
Username: inox

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, 24 September, 2024 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,
I can only comment on the seat operation in our car. (1990 Mulsanne S)
The seats move with the ignition in Acc position and in the Run position.They operate with or without the engine running.
When you changed the batteries did you check that the old ones hadn't leaked onto the PCB.
If they have leaked try cleaning the the PCB with Servisol and a tooth brush.
Allow to evaporate before connecting plugs
Regards

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, 24 September, 2024 - 19:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1989 Mulsanne S and the seat function is the same as Darryl's

Nick Grice
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 08 October, 2024 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou all for your advice and input to my problem.

I will clean the pcb and take it from there.

Will update you when i finally get rpound to sorting it.

Thanks again, this is a brilliant site.

Regards to all from here in sunny UK .....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: