Empty torque converter? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Empty torque converter? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, 11 October, 2022 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is just an observation about a strange occurrence on my Bentley T.

The car was left for three days in a hotel parked facing uphill. At the start of the journey home, it was trickled downhill backwards for 50 yards to turn round at the bottom of the hill. A bit of throttle in "Drive" produced some loud weird noises and only a little action. After a few hundred yards the symptoms disappeared and the journey was the usual uneventful pleasure.

With the benefit of a little thought I conclude that the torque converter had partly drained into the gearbox, and took some time to refill via the gearbox pump mechanism. If I had realised that I would have left it idling, or driven VERY gently for a time, to avoid damaging the TC by cavitation or whatever.

The Dexron level is fine - just comfortably overfilled by a few millimetres.

Alan D.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2022 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, when I change the ATF in my cars, I usually jack the front end overnight before, to enable the converter to drain down as far as it will. This seems to work to a degree as the oil drained is more than the handbook suggests for a tqf change.
Mark

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2022 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, I've not seen this effect mentioned before. Most of my experience is on automatic Citroen CXs with ZF gearboxes - transverse-engine and gearbox, so no similar action unless really lop-sided.

I should have been really worried by the violent noises, but I was in moving traffic on a narrow road and it would have been embarrassing to stop. Cavitation can be destructive.

Alan D.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: