Importing Cars - Traps and Pitfalls Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Importing Cars - Traps and Pitfalls « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hooper-Young
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.170.232.47
Posted on Thursday, 11 August, 2022 - 14:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys

Have been considering these past months to perhaps import a classic B or RR either from the states or the UK there are few I've been watching - Then I discovered the dreaded asbestos importing restriction and the horror stories that are around and now I am completely dead against doing it - period.

Though I am curious to hear others experiences, obviously it can be done with appropriate certification, but my concern is the additional costs incurred if / when a positive result comes back. Shoe linings etc is one thing but effectively replacing any gaskets , head lining, clutch transmissions linings is a completely different ball game. Seems an engine overhaul etc would be required so I guess classic imports are a dead opportunity these days.......

Anyone care to share there experiences - successful or otherwise and how that impacted the cost their decision to do it and time to have a car imported????

(Message approved by david_gore)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3305
Posted on Friday, 12 August, 2022 - 05:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I looked into this once, years ago, and decided against.

But there is no "generic answer" here, as it really depends on the export nation and import nation and the complications that each puts on the process.

It's never dirt simple, but it can vary from relatively easy and understandable to sheer hell. Were I living in any nation where importing a classic car did not involve automatically bypassing something like an asbestos importing restriction, I'd never do it.

In many places, classic cars are "grandfathered in" which is what makes sense. They are never going to meet virtually any restriction made on currently (or even just recently) produced vehicles.

Brian

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, 12 August, 2022 - 10:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you are in Australia, you can forget about ever importing any vehicle from any where on the planet unless it is a current production model.
An aquaintence reciently curated a display exhibition and over 1/3 of the vehicles originally planned to b brought in could not because of the idiot asbestos regulations.
Considering just how much we used down here , banning anything because of asbestos is lunacy of the first order.
I still have motorcycles and friction parts that contain asbestos and there is no restriction on me using them apart from the 60 day general limit for historic plated vehicles .
Now asbestos is dangerous to a very small section of the population who will in time be shown to be genetically vunerable to asbestos.
Worked in foundries when hot dry & dusty asbestos was everywhere
Make asbestos pipe lagging for 3 years while I was at uni with no PPE whatsover and the same factory made muffler bags for ships that were constructed from asbestos impregnated cotton canvas the stuffed with hot expanded ( cracked was the term ) before being stitched up and when we were doing that you could not see your own hands for all of the asbestos fibres floating around the factory.
That was 50 years ago and the three students who worked there were all around a couple of years ago when we had a sort of reunion, the factory owner is still around and his kids who played in the stuff are now running the plant although it is a far cry from what it was like in the 70's

Hooper-Young
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.170.232.47
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2022 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian @ trevor - many thanks for the replies.

I kinda of suspected in Australia the regulations effectively killed classic imports, so Im glad I can put that thought to bed once and for all.

Though you'd think with all the James Hardie Asbestos fibro homes in our country a few gaskets in a car would not be an issue - but hey there you go - the Nanny state of Australia...

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2022 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The asbestos hysteria has settled down a bit. I know of a couple of prewar cars imported this year.

They both had receipts for recent brake and clutch replacements. There was no issue.

EDI seem competent. Talk to them first. They can talk you through requirements.

https://edicustoms.com.au/automotive-logistics/

JoshuaPayne
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 103.118.33.30
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2023 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,
Just stumbled upon this post - it is of much interest as I am planning on importing my mother's 1954 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith from NZ to me here in Brisbane.
The car got a bit of a birthday about 10 years ago which included a brake overhaul and an engine rebuild - as such, parts such as brake linings and engine gaskets were replaced with asbestos-free items.
Are there other asbestos materials on the car that could catch me out?
Coincidentally, I have began conversations with EDI - they seem knowledgeable and helpful so far.

Jeff McAlister
New User
Username: maximus

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2023 - 20:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I imported a Phantom 3 at the beginning of the year through EDI (highly recommend) if importing a car.
Mine come from France, don't buy a car from France!
I had it sent to Jonathan wood in the UK another mistake!
He had the car for 1 year to remove the asbestos located in the brakes and exhaust system.
This cost just over 50k Australian, add that to the import cost, duties, lux car tax and storage (France, 7 months) and transport costs from France to uk its close to an additional 95k.
Think twice I say.

Jason Watson
New User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2023 - 06:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I understand importing a whole car, apart from the asbestos issue cars have to be meticulously clean. No dirt or mud, possibility of a seed or insect coming in on it.

I think there are understanding asbestos inspectors from the vehicles origin side. They can make life a little easier I am told. Finding them is the difficult bit. But where a buck is to be made people are willing to understand.

I did bump into someone importing old American cars and motorbikes. The engine was removed from the body though I think both items came in the same container, along with other parts. It came into the country as second hand parts. Oddly enough I don’t think anyone gave a rip about asbestos or cleanliness. Even if you had to bring them item is two different containers it may be viable. Just saying

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: