Requisites compartment key issue Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Requisites compartment key issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Boltz
Yet to post message
Username: jimbobcyclebarncom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 07 August, 2022 - 23:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My recently purchased 1982 Corniche came without keys for the "requisites compartments" in my doors. I have reached out virtually everywhere and it seems that this option was not all that popular - so, have had no success finding a "key blank". I'm hoping a forum member may have a requisites key and could share the brand and blank number printed on the head of their key. A picture of the key might be helpful to my locksmith, as well.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3304
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2022 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do these not use the same keys as the glovebox? I honestly don't know, but Crewe was so big on Yale locks (for decades) for everything that I'd be surprised that the one used for those compartments are not the very same one used for the glove box.

Brian

James Boltz
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2022 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian - I only have an ignition master key, but doubt that a valet key would work - it appears totally different key style. I have the factory build sheets and there is no indication of a key for the requisites. I will order a valet key for which I have the number and see where that goes - would be nice if it were that simple. There is an amazing lack of information on this accessory. The various sources I have reached out to need an expanded explanation on just what a "requisites compartment" is. I'm hoping someone out there actually has these cabinets in there car and can fill me on the key issue.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2022 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Look at eBay listings and ask the poster the same question regarding the key issue so you will know whether there is a 3rd key. I doubt the master key would work, the valet key is a no no, so there may be a 3rd key involved. I do not see a listing for this key in the official key blank listing.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 797
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2022 - 06:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Suggestion: Give Rod Sala a call at Park Ward Motors. He will gladly assist you.

James Boltz
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2022 - 10:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert - I agree that there simply has to be a 3rd key. And, if the master key wouldn't work, why would the valet key fit? Question, Where is Park Ward Motors located - I live in the states. Do you know if I could contact Rod Sala via email? I have never been very successful on international calling - it's an age thing!

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2022 - 02:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm quite sure it will be a Yale 4 or 5 pin. Neither the ignition nor the valet key will work in it, it is a shorter single sided key. From RR Forums I'm assuming it is you that has posted the same question there, so as I understand it you now have it unlocked. Remove the lock from the compartment and take it to another locksmith, I am surprised the one you already tried could not find a key to fit. If you get absolutely stuck send it to me and I'll make a key to fit it, I've got hundreds of key blanks and a cutting machine and have fit keys to locks like these many times.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2022 - 03:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James Google is your friend

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2022 - 12:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any reasonably good locksmith will be able to sort this out
If you have not opened it yet they will be able to pick in in 5 minutes or less so the tumbler can be removed
You should be able to hold the door closed with a magnet if you need to use the car before you get the lock sorted out .

Not everything you want will be available off the shelf

James Boltz
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2022 - 02:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Evidently there are upwards of 150 various Yale key blanks - my locksmith tried a dozen or so. He is going to give it another go from his 30 Yale key selection. Is it really possible there is not another RR owner anywhere who has one of these "Requisite compartments" in their doors? The search continues, but soon the lock will have to be removed - my guess! Thanks to all who have responded. Interestingly, the cabinet is opened and the contents have never been used. Perhaps because the original owner never had a key!

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2022 - 10:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Remove tumbler and replace with new tumbler with its own set of keys,....

Graham.

James Boltz
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2022 - 12:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good suggestion - I will discuss with the locksmith. Seems a reasonable solution.

James Boltz
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 05 September, 2022 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I though it might help to show a picture of the opened cabinet and face of the yale lock in question.
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.documentopened "requisites cabinet"
JB - RR Requisites pix.docx (621.7 k)

James Boltz
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2023 - 01:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update - lock removed and numbers on back indicate it is indeed a specific RR key - not an ignition or valet key. Ordered ILCO blank in December and expect delivery end of February - fingers crossed hoping it is the correct key blank. It has been a 2 1 1/2 year odyssee!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: