Compression Testing: Throttle Open Or... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Compression Testing: Throttle Open Or Closed? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 859
Posted on Saturday, 09 April, 2022 - 12:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When you test cylinder compression, do you open the throttle wide open or leave it closed?
Seems to me it would make a diffetence in the pressure developed; also it depends on the specified compression and how it was taken I suppose.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 331
Posted on Saturday, 09 April, 2022 - 16:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Open...
If you want the air to be compressed and show a true reading, you must let the atmosphere in.
Some even remove all the plugs so the engine can spin as fast as possible.

Senart Patrice
New User
Username: senart_p

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 09 April, 2022 - 23:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hello, if I can help you with this ...

Basic rules for taking the compressions of an engine.
--------------------------------------------------
Check the valve clearance according to the factory settings (cold engine),

Bring the engine to temperature (80 degrees Celsius, 185 Fahrenheit +/-)

Remove all spark plugs

Battery status (full charge or add a second battery)

Take all the compressions of each cylinder with the accelerator fully open

At this time you will see the real values

Good luck

Regards
/P

I hope that my English is clear

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2022 - 04:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you're going to start adjusting your valve clearances, take before and after readings.
This of course assumes that your car is old enough where it doesn't have hydraulic lifters.

Senart Patrice
New User
Username: senart_p

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 11 April, 2022 - 04:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jeff, you are right, that's why I said ground rules !!! and forgot to specify that it was for engines without hydraulic valve lifters
Regards
/P

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, 11 April, 2022 - 06:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy has his car listed in his profile, I just remembered to check, it's 1970 Shadow.
Doesn't have to worry about adjusting the valve clearance, but getting at all the plugs is a bear, or so I have read.
I think some have removed the wheels and inner fender wells for easier access ???
This assumes he's working on his Shadow.

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 860
Posted on Monday, 11 April, 2022 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, all; I’m not testing compression in one of the Rolls-Royces; just inquiring in general.

I rarely have seen this mentioned in specifications, and often see it being done on television with the throttle appearing to be closed; i.e. no one there to operate it and the tester is using a remote starter button.

My opinion is it ought to be wide-open and plugs out, understanding we are looking for the outlier usually; the one that doesn’t measure up.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, 11 April, 2022 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In reality it makes little difference to anything other than the time it takes to reach maximum pressure
Throttle wide open will be 2 or 3 full cycles
Throttle in idle position 20 or so .

The caveat on this is your poor old starter motor is doing all of the work & getting very hot & bothered because very few are designed to run for more than a minute tops

The other thing is you need to do the tests both dry then wet and at least 3 readings ( read all cylinders in a run then repeat 2 more times because it is easy to get a bad reading because the gear is not fitted properly .

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2528
Posted on Monday, 11 April, 2022 - 13:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cylinder leakage test much kinder and tests so much more.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, 12 April, 2022 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quite right Patrick
The only time I do compression tests is on 2 strokes that I can not get to start.
This is because it is a lot easier than blanking off the inlet & exhaust to do a leak down test & I don't charge if the job is not financially viable and very few hand held power tools are economic to rebuild .

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: